Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading about bloat, and the recommendations that you should not let your dog drink water right after eating dry food, I decided to do a kibble test on her food. We feed her Pro Plan Large Breed Puppy, Chicken and Rice. I put about a cup of her kibble in a bowl, and added just enough water to almost cover it. In a few hours, actually maybe less, the kibble expanded to almost twice its dry size. So I imagine this is what happens in her tummy if she drinks water immediately after eating. Yikes. So now I have been witholding her water for about an hour after eating. Is that enough time? Does anybody else do this, or am I overeacting?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I had a dog that bloated twice it I personally think drinking some water after a meal is fine, but not tons of it. I used to withhold it, but not anymore as that did not cause it. I think it is mainly stress related and some dogs are really proan to it. Even small amts of stress can set of the wrong reaction.

I do not feed him though 30 minutes after a ton of excersise - he must calm down first and I won't feed him before a ton of excersise either (which is more important). You don't want the dog to start running around like crazy with a full stomach - would you? Most importantly, try not to think about it, your dog doesn't.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
I should apologize, my post was very curt. I was in a hurry, but I wanted to post the link so you could look over it. My apologies if I came across as rude.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nick.........No apology necessary. I didn't take any offense at all to your post. Thanks for responding, and for reassuring me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts