Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got a pair of young budgies a couple of weeks ago...Blueberry and Marshmallow. I'm sure you can guess which is which. ;)

Blueberry is very, very sweet. He sings a lot, and he will already get on our fingers when we tell him to "step up". He is definitely very friendly and likes people. Marshmallow is a witch right now...lol He tries to bite us when we get our hands near him so he needs a bit more work. He's getting better so hopefully he'll be tamed in a few more weeks. The millet sticks are doing wonders for him. :)

We started out with just Blueberry, and they were cagemates. We went back to the petstore to get Dexter some crickets, and Marshmallow was all alone still. We read that budgies are better in pairs so we went ahead and got him. They are happier together. They're "kissing" and preening each other pretty much every time we walk past the cage. :happy:

Anyone else have birds? What type of toys do they enjoy? We have a mirror, an abacus looking toy, and balls (look like the plastic balls cats play with) that hang down and have bells attached. They don't seem to enjoy those. They love the swing, but I'm going to have to buy a bigger one for the two of them since they enjoy sitting on it together. They also like their seed stick, cuttle bone, mineral block, and bird bath... I'd like to give them an activity other than a food related one though. They mostly sit on their perches or the swing and interact with each other. We do let Blueberry out for a bit everyday in a closed room since he's good about coming to us when we get ready to put him back in his cage, but Marshmallow can't come out just yet...hopefully soon.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I love Budgies!!! I had 3 of them, but sadly they all died. :( Make sure to keep their wings clipped if you plan on letting them out of their cage.

:D

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jzgrlduff said:
I love Budgies!!! I had 3 of them, but sadly they all died. :( Make sure to keep their wings clipped if you plan on letting them out of their cage.

:D
They are. :happy: The pet store gave them their first clipping, and I know how to do it when they grow back since we used to clip wings at the pet grooming place I worked. Marshmallow got out of the box when we were putting him in his cage, and it took a good 45 minutes to catch him even with the wings clipped. I couldn't imagine trying to catch him if he could fly higher/further! lol

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Cute birds. I am not a big bird fan, I would rather hear them singing outside than inside my house. Have fun with your new friends!

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
They're very pretty. Even Marshmellow has a bit of blue under his wings. Makes for a pretty pair of birdies. :happy:

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
gailatmsu said:
Anyone else have birds? What type of toys do they enjoy? We have a mirror, an abacus looking toy, and balls (look like the plastic balls cats play with) that hang down and have bells attached. They don't seem to enjoy those. They love the swing, but I'm going to have to buy a bigger one for the two of them since they enjoy sitting on it together. They also like their seed stick, cuttle bone, mineral block, and bird bath... I'd like to give them an activity other than a food related one though. They mostly sit on their perches or the swing and interact with each other. We do let Blueberry out for a bit everyday in a closed room since he's good about coming to us when we get ready to put him back in his cage, but Marshmallow can't come out just yet...hopefully soon.
Yep I have 1 budgie called Flea, she was 1 of 3 but other 2 died..i swear she killed my lilac one!

Flea has a small parrot rope toy, a ball with a bell, a mirror which is her fave, and some tiny mirrors with bells.

I spent 5 mins every couple of horus with my hand in her cage and she sits on my finger and even on my shoulder. I clipped her wings once to tame her more and the flight feathes have grown back now and she isnt hard to catch

1 - 8 of 8 Posts