1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
No big surprise.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
The blessing and curse of a 3rd party candidate. Sometimes just enough to split a vote.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Too bad so few folks are smart enough to not have a party and simpley vote for the lesser of two evils. (I know, I really want to vote for a good person, my hope before I die.)

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Too bad so few folks are smart enough to not have a party and simpley vote for the lesser of two evils. (I know, I really want to vote for a good person, my hope before I die.)
I was thinking about the upcoming New York State election and all the leaders of the past. A really smart candidate who campaigned on tough negotiations with the teachers unions and other public uniions would get a lot of votes. The best jobs in New York are corrections officer,teachers and State government employees. (out side on NYC of course) seems in the past 20 years Upstate job growth and advancment has been in Government unionized jobs and no longer private sector.

BTW Glen, read a very flattering article on Lincoln,NE as soon as I find it I will link it to you.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
BTW Glen, read a very flattering article on Lincoln,NE as soon as I find it I will link it to you.
Cool, I hope they mentioned that if you decide to move here, don't say "But that's not the way we do things where I'm from." Yep most likely and stay there if you don't like the way we do things. Might be out 4% un-employment or our balanced city budget.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
Cool, I hope they mentioned that if you decide to move here, don't say "But that's not the way we do things where I'm from." Yep most likely and stay there if you don't like the way we do things. Might be out 4% un-employment or our balanced city budget.
Yes the article was about your 4% UE and balanced budget. Also about modest realistic housing values during the real estate baloon and now the lack of foreclosures. Very flattering article about level headed leadership and a population who is not too keen on following the latest craze. It portrayed a very stable economic and political engine.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Yes the article was about your 4% UE and balanced budget. Also about modest realistic housing values during the real estate baloon and now the lack of foreclosures. Very flattering article about level headed leadership and a population who is not too keen on following the latest craze. It portrayed a very stable economic and political engine.
Yep that's us and the vast majority will welcome you till you make a comment about how we do things, then many of us including me (I've done it several times) will tell you to pack up, get on I-80 and head either east or west and don't let the "Leavin' Newbrassky" sign hit you in the arse on the way out.

BTW we've done some cuttin' but the state budjet is balanced also and a small emergerncy reserve is there also. Now Omaha, naw, they think they are a big city and have to have a deficit budject, to many folks movin' in from places where that's the norm.

Bet the artical didn't tell you every High School in the city has a trap team. The State HS trap shoot is I'm told the 3rd largest trap event in the country.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Wow, that would be some crazy strategy. I'm admittedly not a fan of the tea partiers or most Republican social issue stances, but this seems like the wrong way to go about things. Not that politicians haven't been doing underhanded and dastardly things since the beginning of time of course.

"According to the latest Washington Post-ABC News poll, 39 percent of Americans identify themselves as independents - compared with 32 percent who say they are Democrats and 26 percent who are self-described members of the GOP..." [Source]

Well at least 39% can rest easy tonight, knowing they're not quite as dumb as the rest of us :pound:

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
We call that the Lemming way, if you join a party, folks think you believe in what they do and stand for. I was about 1% when I turned 18 in 1975, sure nice to see more folks gettin' smart. I can't see anything in either group to cause me to put my name down as a member. I was always taught if you support something, do it all the way. Which ever you are, either you support them all the way or yer just half a half assed D or R. You ever notice yer party wants you to vote for their canidate just because they are they're canidate? It's OK, head to the cliffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMZlr5Gf9yY

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
"According to the latest Washington Post-ABC News poll, 39 percent of Americans identify themselves as independents - compared with 32 percent who say they are Democrats and 26 percent who are self-described members of the GOP..." [Source]

Well at least 39% can rest easy tonight, knowing they're not quite as dumb as the rest of us :pound:
It's always interesting to watch how much those numbers move. Before the Republican Revolution in the early 90s, no one identified themselves as Democrats (or they used an alternative like "progressive"). Then no one wanted to be called a Republican (people were libertarians). Now, I guess calling yourself an independent is in style.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Wow, that would be some crazy strategy. I'm admittedly not a fan of the tea partiers or most Republican social issue stances, but this seems like the wrong way to go about things. Not that politicians haven't been doing underhanded and dastardly things since the beginning of time of course.

And there's some research (can't find it right now, sorry) that suggests that when you look at issues along Republican/Democrat lines, and people's actual voting behaviors, only a tiny minority of people (like less than 10%) are "true" independents. A lot of people like to call themselves independents (maybe so they can pat themselves on the back in Internet forms for how much smarter they are than everyone else), but that label is at odds with how they actually behave.

P.S. And Nick is totally right that how you define "independent" and the historical context will both have a huge impact on how people identify themselves.

P.P.S. Found it.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
And there's some research (can't find it right now, sorry) that suggests that when you look at issues along Republican/Democrat lines, and people's actual voting behaviors, only a tiny minority of people (like less than 10%) are "true" independents. A lot of people like to call themselves independents (maybe so they can pat themselves on the back in Internet forms for how much smarter they are than everyone else), but that label is at odds with how they actually behave.
I don't doubt that at all. I'm speaking purely anecdotally (is that a word?) here, but it seems a lot of people I know that call themselves independents vote pretty reliably with one of the two major parties. It's like they believe that by calling themselves an independent, their masking what would otherwise be considered pretty ideological behavior. If I call myself an independent and still vote for Republican/Democratic issues, then somehow my opinion is more valid because I'm just an independent and not just supporting a party (even though that's exactly what "I" am doing).

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Interesting article Nathan :)

Nick, you raise a really good point about how people choose to identify their beliefs with a certain party based on what is happening at the time. I still have a number of "libertarian" friends. Being an independent is very much in fashion now as well I think because it's an easy way to absolve oneself from whatever happens to be wrong with the country at the time (ie. whichever political party is shouldering the blame for each issue).

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Some of us have been registered independent, long before it was the " popular" or " cool" thing to do. I myself have voted both party lines, in my State and for President. So those facts may be true for some, but not for all. Just because I didn't and still don't like " O" doesn't mean I would never vote for a Democrat, hey I voted for Clinton. Yes I tend to be pretty dang conservative, but you give me a decent candidate, I don't care if he or she is a Dem, GOP, Libertarian or teabagger- I'll vote for them. I know there are many of you who think that " O " is that person, I just don't.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Some of us have been registered independent, long before it was the " popular" or " cool" thing to do. I myself have voted both party lines, in my State and for President. So those facts may be true for some, but not for all.
I don't think anyone said all self-proclaimed moderates are "fakers." I think the point was that there are a lot of people that like to think of themselves as moderates, when in actuality they're quite partisan. I didn't read Nathan's link, but I'd suspect that it's a growing trend. It seems like more and more people assume and expect you to vote a certain way based on your party affiliation. There is a perception that if you're affiliated with a party, you vote that party and if you're an independent you're more deliberate and neutral in your decision. On top of that, more people will say independent to a pollster right now because they don't want to identify with either party. It's not that they're really a moderate. I'd suspect, as of this snapshot in history, that a significant percentage of these new "moderates" are Republicans that are just disenchanted with their party right now. I have a hard time believing the collective ideology of American voters shifts as significantly as that poll does over the years. I think people tend to form their beliefs and largely stick to them (maybe adjusting on a few issues).

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
In Ohio, in order to vote in primarys for "people" , you have to be registered either Republican or Democrat - there is no "Independent". For a long time I wasn't a registered R or D, and had trouble voting on the issues in primarys because the booths were set up for either R or D none that had just the issues. Then one time I wanted to vote in a Primary and wanted to vote for a Republican , so had to register as a Republican. After that I didn't want to be identified as a Republian, so I registered as a Democrat in the next primary. There is no way to register as an Independent except to not vote in any primaries for at least 2 years (meaning no issues that are being voted on either). I do consider myself an Independent, but Nathan is right - I almost always vote as a Democrat, and consider myself a liberal in most areas. certainly not ALL areas - but people seem to like to lump everything together.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
In Ohio, in order to vote in primarys for "people" , you have to be registered either Republican or Democrat - there is no "Independent". For a long time I wasn't a registered R or D, and had trouble voting on the issues in primarys because the booths were set up for either R or D none that had just the issues. Then one time I wanted to vote in a Primary and wanted to vote for a Republican , so had to register as a Republican. After that I didn't want to be identified as a Republian, so I registered as a Democrat in the next primary. There is no way to register as an Independent except to not vote in any primaries for at least 2 years (meaning no issues that are being voted on either). I do consider myself an Independent, but Nathan is right - I almost always vote as a Democrat, and consider myself a liberal in most areas. certainly not ALL areas - but people seem to like to lump everything together.
Its the same here, and wish it would change. I always figure it gets rid of some of the menucha, then I can concentrate on whats leftover ; )
I think you are right Nick and didn't mean to sound as defensive as that post came off. Its just now days you hear it all the time, how being " independent is just a trend" or " folks that just can't make up there minds" or " are weak minded" . At least here in Oregon, where if your not a democrat you are evil!:laugh: I actually work with someone who said she would dis-own her kids if they became Republicans. I informed her that everyone in my house DH, and both kids are registered Republicans and I was happy that they hadn't disowned me for being an independent!

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Some of us have been registered independent, long before it was the " popular" or " cool" thing to do. I myself have voted both party lines, in my State and for President. So those facts may be true for some, but not for all. Just because I didn't and still don't like " O" doesn't mean I would never vote for a Democrat, hey I voted for Clinton. Yes I tend to be pretty dang conservative, but you give me a decent candidate, I don't care if he or she is a Dem, GOP, Libertarian or teabagger- I'll vote for them. I know there are many of you who think that " O " is that person, I just don't.
Same here, been registared since 1975 and that's the way it's always been, I vote for the one I like, no matter who's party it is. If anyone don't believe that, no skin off my arse, don't know what others do and think and really don't care.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.