Just Labradors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Posted this in health and nutrition but i know more people read this board:

Early December Fletch got loose stool and vomiting for about two days then stopped eating. I took him to the vet and he had Pancreatitis. They thought he had an obstruction and opened him up to find out there was nothing there. They did find that his Secum was swollen however. He was still in bad shape however and had to spend days in a 24 hour care facility. He didn't eat for 5 days and the meds he was being treated for did nothing for that long. On the fifth day i brought him to my vet to try something else. They put him on antibiotics for Tiflitis (not sure on spelling) and the next morning he ate. Still not sure if the other meds kicked in or it was medication for the Tiflitis.

He has started having diarhea again about two days ago. I gave him pumpkin that day and it firmed him up but didn't give it to him yesterday and the diarhea came back. This morning I didn't feed him because i know sometimes people withold food for a day so I thought I'd try that. When i got home from the gym this morning he had thrown up. Now I'm freaking out because I don't have another three thousand dollars to go through this again. Any suggestions or ideas on what this could be would be very helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
When you start feeding him again (after 24 hours of no food), give him small amounts of plain white rice, with a tiny bit of boiled chicken mixed in (like one boiled chicken breast to an entire pot of rice). Give him just a couple of tablespoonfuls at first. Wait two hours and if he keeps it down, give him a little more. Every two hours, as long as he keeps it down and is peeing, pooping, and drinking normally, keep giving him the rice and chicken. Next day, feed him about 1 cup of the chicken and rice for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The day after, start adding small amounts of his kibble to the rice, until you get him back on the kibble.

If there is any blood in the poop or puke, get him to the vet immediately. If the diarrhea or vomiting continue, get him to the vet. If he refuses to drink or eat, get him to the vet. As long as he acts normal, I think you are okay with just adjusting the food and resting his gut.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I would definitely have him checked out again. I lost a pup to intussusception and so I don't mess around with diarrhea anymore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts