Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Early December Fletch got loose stool and vomiting for about two days then stopped eating. I took him to the vet and he had Pancreatitis. They thought he had an obstruction and opened him up to find out there was nothing there. They did find that his caecum was swollen however. He was still in bad shape however and had to spend days in a 24 hour care facility. He didn't eat for 5 days and the meds he was being treated for did nothing for that long. On the fifth day i brought him to my vet to try something else. They put him on antibiotics for Tiflitis (not sure on spelling) and the next morning he ate. Still not sure if the other meds kicked in or it was medication for the Tiflitis.

He has started having diarhea again about two days ago. I gave him pumpkin that day and it firmed him up but didn't give it to him yesterday and the diarhea came back. This morning I didn't feed him because i know sometimes people withold food for a day so I thought I'd try that. When i got home from the gym this morning he had thrown up. Now I'm freaking out because I don't have another three thousand dollars to go through this again. Any suggestions or ideas on what this could be would be very helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I would fast him for a day (provide water and perhaps some chicken broth) then go to rice and boiled ground chicken for several days. If he is OK after that - then you can work back in the kibble to the diet.

I'd be curious about his diet as well.

If the chicken and rice diet does not eliminate tummy trouble - then you probably have some medical cause and he should see a vet. Maybe it is time for another opinion on what his problem is. I am pretty shocked that they opened your dog up without actually seeing a blockage on x-ray.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BigBrownDog said:
I would fast him for a day (provide water and perhaps some chicken broth) then go to rice and boiled ground chicken for several days. If he is OK after that - then you can work back in the kibble to the diet.

If the chicken and rice diet does not eliminate tummy trouble - then you probably have some medical cause and he should see a vet. Maybe it is time for another opinion on what his problem is. I am pretty shocked that they opened your dog up without actually seeing a blockage on x-ray.
He's on Kirkland Chicken and Rice.

As for the X-Ray they saw a bunch of backed up gas. Gave him barium and it backed up there as well. They figured it was something spongey or something.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Fletchs Pop said:
BigBrownDog said:

He's on Kirkland Chicken and Rice.

As for the X-Ray they saw a bunch of backed up gas. Gave him barium and it backed up there as well. They figured it was something spongey or something.
Oh - that makes some sense then. Many dogs do OK on Kirkland C and R - but since he had pancreatitis, perhaps some prescription food would work for him better. I am not so conversant on what food would be appropriate for a dog with pancrease issues but maybe a no grain food would be better. Mine has diabetes and is on grain free and thriving. (and yes - I know diabetes is all about the pancrease but mine never had any pancreatitis symptoms)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd like to switch his food to something grain free. I'm a bit concerned doing it when his stomach was already having issues.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
kiddsmom said:
Maybe it's the food giving him the issues.
I understand that idea. I went out and bought EVO today and hopefully he'll recover well enough over the next couple days where I can start integrating in the new Dog Food.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Go very slowly with the transition. EVO is very rich compared to the Kirkland. If you haven't opened the bag, you might consider getting Wellness CORE reduced fat. It has a high fiber count (higher that most foods), would help with the loose stools. When my dog had a terrible bout with colitis last year, this is what I put him on and he firmed up in a matter of days. He stayed on this through the bag and then I transitioned him over to regular CORE.

I would rest his stomach for a few days with a bland diet of boiled chicken and rice to see if he stops vomiting. If he does, then slowly start him back on kibble. If not, get him to a vet.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Fletchs Pop said:
kiddsmom said:
Maybe it's the food giving him the issues.
I understand that idea. I went out and bought EVO today and hopefully he'll recover well enough over the next couple days where I can start integrating in the new Dog Food.
Whoa nelly! Switching him over to a new food while he is tender from this bout of intestinal distress is just going to produce more intestinal distress. What Kiddsmom and I both said was to do a bland boiled diet - my feeling is for at least 5-7 days - then re-introduce a kibble slowly. In his case - I would try a prescription food or a something really simple. Wellness Core low fat would be a good idea (what kiddsmom said). My dog is on Core regular. But please do pay attention to the need to very slowly transition.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Haha, sorry I just meant I went and got food not that he's going to get it. Last time he did well on Science Diet I/D from the vet so I fed him some chicken and rice this morning and as usual he picked out as much of the chicken as possible Ignoring the rice and has held everything down for 90 minutes. We went out for a walk and he was his normal self loving the 10 degree weather.

I'll check out the welness core. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Once again, be very very careful of intussusception, especially in a young dog or one who has had gut issues in the past.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
labby said:
Once again, be very very careful of intussusception, especially in a young dog or one who has had gut issues in the past.
Tanks Labby, i've fed him twice today and he held it down no vomiting. He's showing no signs of sensitivity in his gut. Are there any particular symptoms I should look for?

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
From http://www.acvs.org/AnimalOwners/HealthConditions/SmallAnimalTopics/Intussusception/

Signs and Symptoms.
Dogs that develop intussusceptions have generally been having episodes of diarrhea or vomiting before the intussusception occurs. Small volumes of bloody diarrhea, abdominal pain, or a palpable abdominal mass are suggestive of an intussusception. The severity of the clinical signs depends somewhat on the location of the intussusception, with problems lower in the intestinal tract causing less severe clinical signs. Intussusceptions can be chronic or intermittent, meaning that they will reduce themselves spontaneously and then reform.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
labby said:
From http://www.acvs.org/AnimalOwners/HealthConditions/SmallAnimalTopics/Intussusception/

Signs and Symptoms.
Dogs that develop intussusceptions have generally been having episodes of diarrhea or vomiting before the intussusception occurs. Small volumes of bloody diarrhea, abdominal pain, or a palpable abdominal mass are suggestive of an intussusception. The severity of the clinical signs depends somewhat on the location of the intussusception, with problems lower in the intestinal tract causing less severe clinical signs. Intussusceptions can be chronic or intermittent, meaning that they will reduce themselves spontaneously and then reform.
Labby,

Thanks, I called my vet. He asked me to check some things but wasn't concerned about it. He rechecked his x-rays and didn't see the inflamation generally associated with the onset either.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Glad to hear it. Just wanted you to be aware. I lost an almost 7 week old puppy to this earlier in the year. It still hurts and I don't want anyone else to have to go through that.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thought I would update. After a day of starvation and two days of chicken and rice with no Diarhea or vomiting (no bowel movements at all) I started integrating the Wellness Core into his food last night (less than a 1/4 cup) and this morning and he seems to really like it. He had a nice healthy #2 this morning. Hopefully it keeps up.

Thanks for all your help and insight.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Fletchs Pop said:
Thought I would update. After a day of starvation and two days of chicken and rice with no Diarhea or vomiting (no bowel movements at all) I started integrating the Wellness Core into his food last night (less than a 1/4 cup) and this morning and he seems to really like it. He had a nice healthy #2 this morning. Hopefully it keeps up.

Sounds good! He is an adult, right? I did not see an age reference anywhere. If not an adult, CORE is not the right food either.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
BigBrownDog said:
Fletchs Pop said:

Sounds good! He is an adult, right? I did not see an age reference anywhere. If not an adult, CORE is not the right food either.
Yes he is just over 2 years old.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts