Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you with diabetes, please, please take good care of yourselves and make sure you see your doctor regularly!

I just found out yesterday that a friend of mine, Maxine, passed away last Saturday. She had been on insulin for as long as I've known her (over 30 years). Maxine had developed an ulcer on her right foot maybe 10 years ago, and didn't have it taken care of. She lost most of her right foot, from the ankle forward. She lived alone in an apartment, not too far from her mother and sister, and was dependent on them to get around as she couldn't drive. She 'didn't want to bother them too often' so she didn't see her doctor nearly as often as she should have. :mad:

Maxine's sugar was all over the charts, and she ended up in the hospital with all her organs shutting down. That was just about a year ago. We got a miracle, and from the hospital she went into a nursing home for rehab until she was strong enough to stand on her own and walk with a walker. Before she got that strong, she got pneumonia and C. Diff., had to go on dialysis three times a week, and then lost more of her right leg up to the knee.

I talked to her shortly after I was laid off on the 9th, and it must have been right after that that her organs started shutting down again. The doctors said there were not going to be any miracles this time, so they called in hospice and stopped the dialysis so she was more alert until the end. Her sister told me that she had breakfast that morning, brushed her teeth, and just went to sleep. Thank You, Lord, for making her end so peaceful. I know she's dancing up in Heaven now.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Im so sorry for your loss, my husband is diabetic and Im on his ass daily to make sure he does his sugars right etc

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I will second that you should take excellent care of yourself.

Mom has been diabetic for over 15 years. With all of her problems you would think she would have the complications from it. But the only problem she has is neuropathy (sp?) in her feet. She is still on pills never on insulin. She is very good about seeing her doctor. She has managed to keep her Crohns and heart conditions from effecting her diabetes. (she had both of those long before the diabetes).

Like your friend my great uncle did not control his diabetes and ended up loosing both his legs and dying from it.

So PLEASE for the sake of those who love you take good care of yourself. Do it for them if you won't do it for yourself. I am sure your friends family would have rather taken the time to get her to the doctor more often then to have lost her to the disease.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Good advice. I'm sorry that it comes from such a sad incident. I am sorry to hear about your friend.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for the condolences. Maxine lived in Pittsburgh and I usally called her once a week. I missed last week and the week before and I've been kicking myself, but I am glad I was able to talk to her a couple of times this month.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
I am so sorry about your friend. My daughter is a type 1 and my husband type 2. I worry constantly about both of them.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear this Jackie. I think that a lot of people, even those with diabetes just don't realize what a bad disease it can be.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Sorry you had to find out about that the way you did. :(

My dad is diabetic, he makes sure he sees his doctors regularly & has his under pretty good control.

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
So sorry for your loss. :( My sister is Type 1 and she is also a Diabetes Educator. Some of the stories she tells me about her patients are very sad...it's a serious disease and people just don't realize how important it is to keep your sugars in check.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts