Just Labradors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
... and start considering my opinion on household decisions more important than his fathers.

People, this is why you don't keep your children home until they are into their 20's! They move 10 minutes away, you end up with far too much influence in their lives, and you drive your DIL or SIL nuts!

I swear, they ARE the Ramone family. Right down to the cop brother named Robert. They're even Italian.

And of course, he thinks my parents are too detached... Maybe because they stopped parenting when I became a self-sufficient adult?

Okay... vent over! I do love him... and I do love how generous and close my in-laws are... but the line is drawn when my opinions get dismissed for theirs!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Mine finally did that shortly after moving into our last home - he got the message when we came home from a trip and MIL planted my flower garden after I told her not to - allthe flowwers were pulled out and replaced - I don't deal well with IL's oversteping bounds - they run all over my BIL & SIL and I will not tolerate it in our home. He sees it now and shuts down pretty quick - I am just so looking forward to their "help" during our renos over the next few years as we add onto our home!

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
regarese said:
Yikes! Should be fun once your baby arrives, huh?
I was just thinking that... lol. Considering they are setting up an entire baby's room at their house (again, its only 10 minutes away). I didn't realize we were sharing custody. *le sigh*

Of course, these are the same inlaws that let CoCo out almost every day, helps us out with lots of stuff around the house, always gives very generous gifts, makes us Sunday dinner every week, etc, etc...

I hope we can find a happy medium between his parents and mine with our children.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Sorry Jo I know just how you feel some times. Luckily mine are not at our house very often but they are only 10 minutes away tops and SU is constantly telling me "I'll ask my dad" when we're concidering doing something ::)

My parents are further away too so we don't see them as often. His parents are great and are a big help but sometimes it would be nice to be able to do things without thier input.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Both SU's and my parents are extremely restrained, so I don't have direct experience, but I can see how frustrating that would be. Basically they sound like great people. It's especially tricky when what is good about them (they are involved) is the same thing that's bad about them (they are involved).

As far as I can see, this is an issue that your SU has to work out. You can't get between him and his parents or you will become the problem. He needs to see how this is affecting you and work to deal with it before things get even more complicated with the baby.

<takes off Dr. Phil bald wig>

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Considering they are setting up an entire baby's room at their house (again, its only 10 minutes away). I didn't realize we were sharing custody.
Scary!!!

When Michael and Jared were babies, my husband lived with the boys at his parents hourse temporarily until we could find a place together. I stayed at my sisters but would be over there every night helping him with the kids. He was only there for maybe 6 months. To this day his mother still claims that she "raised those kids". :mad: ::) :mad: ::) :mad: ::)

Be careful Jo!

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
CoCosMom said:
Considering they are setting up an entire baby's room at their house (again, its only 10 minutes away). I didn't realize we were sharing custody. *le sigh*
That may turn out to be nice for you. My parents had extra bedrooms once we all moved out and converted one to a nursery for all the grandkids who started coming along. The babies always had a place to nap, with a crib and night light and mobile, etc., toys already there so no need to lug a lot for a visit, same for diapers, wipes, etc. AND! Built in overnight babysitters!!!

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
When my nephew was born he had a room at my parents place. Friends gave them a crib and they had one of everything. It made it nice for my BR and SIL all they had to do was bring Michael over not pack the diaper bag and lug the play yard like they did at her parents.

My folks would watch him when his parents work scheduled over lapped. And as there apt didn't have a washer/dryer my SIL use to come and do laundry the one day a week my mum worked.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay, DH totally redeemed himself. I thought I was going to be in for an argument, but once I gave him my opinion on this particular topic he dropped the subject, and when his father called this evening to check on it he told him that we BOTH weren't interested. So YAY DH!

Taffys Mom said:
CoCosMom said:
Considering they are setting up an entire baby's room at their house (again, its only 10 minutes away). I didn't realize we were sharing custody. *le sigh*
That may turn out to be nice for you. My parents had extra bedrooms once we all moved out and converted one to a nursery for all the grandkids who started coming along. The babies always had a place to nap, with a crib and night light and mobile, etc., toys already there so no need to lug a lot for a visit, same for diapers, wipes, etc. AND! Built in overnight babysitters!!!
I know... it really WILL be nice, and I know they will baby sit at the drop of a hat... they already dogsit all the time!

theoconbrio said:
Both SU's and my parents are extremely restrained, so I don't have direct experience, but I can see how frustrating that would be. Basically they sound like great people. It's especially tricky when what is good about them (they are involved) is the same thing that's bad about them (they are involved).

As far as I can see, this is an issue that your SU has to work out. You can't get between him and his parents or you will become the problem. He needs to see how this is affecting you and work to deal with it before things get even more complicated with the baby.

<takes off Dr. Phil bald wig>
You are SO right Nathan. They are wonderful people. In fact, I don't really have any issue with MIL, its FIL that gets on my nerves.... and DH knows it and understands why. In fact, FIL knows it, and likes to teasingly push my buttons but I'm pretty good at dishing it back too!

Anyhow, thanks for letting me vent about this! This issue comes up often enough, so I was preparing for the worst today, but I'm happy to say DH surprised me! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts