Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He has had this mole on his back forever. Right about the time he got sick 2 1/2 years ago it started changing. Every doctor would see it when they would listen to his heart and lungs and they all, including the doctors at Mayo, said it looks benign but when you have a chance get it checked out. Well, with all of the other health things going on, and my false sense of security with all of them saying it looked fine, we waited. Within the past two months it started growing so we scheduled an appointment with a dermatologist that specialized in skin cancer. We just got the call today. He has to stop taking his blood thinners three days before he has Mohs surgery. They will remove the visible cancer and apply pressure dressing to the wound. They then map what has been removed and check for remaining cancer. If there is still cancer they remove it and again check. This is repeated until all skin removed is cancer free. They then do surgery to repair the site. His surgery is scheduled for May 25. If you have a moment to send a good thought or prayer I would really appreciate it.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Good thoughts for you and your DH. I know it is scary. My hubby had skin cancer on his arm and on his ear. He also had it for years before getting it checked out. They just cut it out of his arm and you can't even see the scar, but on his ear he had Mohs surgery because it is such a delicate area. He now gets checked every 6 months and has been fine.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
You got it.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
I'm so sorry. Prayers definitely being sent!

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Good thoughts headed his way.

My mom also has skin cancer. Or had. It was on the tip of her nose and another spot right near her hair line. She went through the same procedure and gets rechecks 2x a year.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Tud had a basal cell tumor removed from his chest a few years ago. The excision was done right there in his doctor's office. If they get good margins with the surgery your DH should be just fine. Try not to worry.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
Ohhhh.... you bet I can spare some good thoughts for you guys.

I am glad you posted this. I need to remind my husband to go have his 13 spots removed further. 13 of 14 came back pre cancerous. Like w/ you guys.... you just get busy and forget to put it on the front burner.

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Shanna, Tell him to go!

bibber said:
Good thoughts for you and your DH. I know it is scary. My hubby had skin cancer on his arm and on his ear. He also had it for years before getting it checked out. They just cut it out of his arm and you can't even see the scar, but on his ear he had Mohs surgery because it is such a delicate area. He now gets checked every 6 months and has been fine.
They recommended the Mohs surgery because of the depth and size of it.

Thanks everyone! Even though they tell you it's 99% curable, it's still worrisome, but so good to hear how many people have gone through it and are just fine. I never thought I'd be glad to hear basal cell carcinoma, but am thanking God it's not melanoma. Thank God!!

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
My husband has this too. There was actually an upside to it for us. My husband used to ignore stuff like this but now he goes every six months for a recheck. The chances of his ever having a really serious problem go undiagnosed have vastly decreased.

Good luck; it'll be fine.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts