Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a week in the hospital my lab Dexter is now salivating copious amounts of brown saliva! Now what is this? He's had ultrasounds, xrays, bloodwork bone marrow tests..... He has no appetite, his mouth has been checked but nothing is noticeable. They are going to sedate him to examine him more fully. He does not act sick, I took him out and he still knocks me over. He has been on antibiotics. Any ideas?

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Hi Kathy,
What the heck is that?! I asked Sam this a million times but I'm gonna ask again - sre you sure they checked every tooth for infection? That would cause the brown saliva and would also cause him not to eat. I'm sure they did, but I'm just hoping it's something as simple as an infected tooth. :-\

Somebody here should have some ideas, I hope. Are his kidneys and liver OK now? Do you know what his white count is today? I know you said it was going down, which is great news! :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They said they did look in his mouth, but nothing was noticable. They are going to sedate him to get a better look. They haven't gotten the results of his daily ($$$) bloodwork. He was actually more energetic today, he's acting better. Still strong as an ox. I just can't believe this, it's just amazing. ???

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I don't know, I keep thinking teeth. Do vets Xray dogs teeth I wonder??? How else would they find tooth/teeth infections? Hmmm.

I just found this :
http://www.placervillevet.com/canine dental care.htm
"Soft at first, plaque gradually hardens and turns brown. The hardened material is usually called tartar. As more forms, it gets up under the gums, carrying infection. In time, the teeth loosen and become painful. Eventually they fall out."

I dunno. Maybe I'm grasping at straws.
I'll shut up about the teeth now.

I said a little prayer for Dex lastnight. :angel:

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Is there blood in the saliva, or something else? If blood, it sure sounds like a tooth abscess, but I don't know.

Not to scare you, but I remember reading that in cats, brown drool has been associated with renal problems from the tainted Menu Foods products. Was he on a recalled product? Did they check his kidneys? What does his urine look like? Is it brown, too?

ETA: Also wondering about liver problems. That could make saliva brown, but would make urine brown, too.

Good thoughts for Dexter.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Oh dear, good thoughts for you and Dexter. Has your vet checked with that food recall? I read somewhere that a dog had brown saliva and had been eating Iams dry food that had tainted wheat gluten in it? i hope it isn't that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dexter is having problems with his kidney's. That is one of the reasons why he has been in the hospital all week hooked up to an IV. When they did the ultrasound, they didn't find a mass or tumor in the kidneys but they were "bright" whatever that means. He was not on any of the recalled food, and my other two dogs eat the same thing and they are fine.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Poor dexter! My first thoughts was blood in the saliva but I have no idea what from or how to help.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Good thoughs and prayers here too that they find an answer soon. Hopefully under sedation they will find the cause and be able to treat it.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Poor Dexter, this all sounds so horrible. Have you asked them if they are sending any of his bloodwork/labs out for a second opinion? I think it might be time to call in more heads to figure this one out.

I hope they find out what it is soon.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
How frightening. :( I hope the vets figure it out soon. In the mean time I'll keep Dexter in my prayers.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts