Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, we just took on a 6 mo. old girl. Her owners lost their job, and had to move and so on and so forth.... well, we adopted their puppy, because she is so sweet and BEAUTIFUL!!! Couldn't stand the thought of her going to a shelter or a bad home. So, she live with us now. She still has her dews. Is this somthing we should worry about now, or just let them go? If we take her to the vet to have them removed, at her age will this be an issue?

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Personally, I'd leave them if she isn't having trouble with them. At her age it's a bigger deal to get them removed, and as long as she's not catching them and tearing them, there's no compelling reason to put her through possibly painful surgery. Both my dogs still have theirs and it's never been an issue.

Good for you to give that girl a good home.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Personally, I'd leave them if she isn't having trouble with them. At her age it's a bigger deal to get them removed, and as long as she's not catching them and tearing them, there's no compelling reason to put her through possibly painful surgery. Both my dogs still have theirs and it's never been an issue.
Ditto. Both my dogs have them and have not had any problems. Just remember to keep an eye on them because if you let them grow too long, they will grow into a rounded shape and can then catch more easily on things.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I'd leave them alone. I always joke that Payton wishes she still had her dew claws when she is trying to hold a bone or when she is scampering up a slippery, muddy hillside. She probably swears at us for cutting off her thumbs. God put them there for a reason.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
My breeders leave them on, too :D
I watched a vet remove dews once from a litter of German Shorthair Pointers, never, ever would I put a puppy or dog through that after seeing it done.
Kudos to you for adopting!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I agree too. Leave them alone. The pup will have a harder time recovering from major surgery to remove them. Besides - they are a great help to holding on to things. I have to laugh watching Abbey and Coco use theirs to keep things in place while they are chewing away.

Our breeder always keeps them on her pups too but she is not the same breeder that MN Lab and Henry and Ollie's Mama are referencing. :wink: I have to agree though - their breeder is a really, really smart lady and she does have super cute puppies!! :laugh:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts