Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it better to have the dewclaw removed or leave it be? I've never had a dog who had its dewclaw removed, but when I was looking at breeders some of them said they removed the dewclaw and some didn't. I'm curious to see what your opinion on the subject is.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
My three had them removed, other dogs I have had kept theirs. I think it's no big deal either way. The main problem with dew claws is that they do not wear down like the others since they do not touch ground. They tend to curl if they are not kept trimmed, and can catch on things and tear.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Both my dogs have their dewclaws. My breeder does not remove them anymore. I just make sure they're trimmed, so they don't get too long.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Both of my dogs had them removed by the breeders. They are out of field lines & the breeders had stories of dew claws getting ripped off when the dogs were in thick cover. I have had no problems with them being removed.

·
Registered
454 Posts
My girl had her dewclaws removed by the breeder. My boy still has his. I haven't noticed any real differences in the way the dogs are able to use their paws - neither of them has any trouble holding a bone, that's for sure. It is a pain to have to get Fin's dewclaws trimmed though, because I am a massive wuss and can't bring myself to do it myself.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I think field breeders are more apt to remove them.

Diesel has dewclaws that stick out like a thumb and they have inflicted some damage on his people when he hugs us. Our little one Blaise has his intact and his breeder never removes them from her puppies. His are close to his leg/foot and are not a problem at all.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Skippy has his (I raised him), and they have never given him any trouble. He runs in the woods alot, but I don't hunt with him. Emilu's were removed by the breeder (they raise mostly field-line and hunt). I really wish she had hers. She is very active with using her paws to hold and manipulate things, and I think she would be even better with her dewclaws. I also don't believe in removing any parts willy nilly (for "human" reasons) of any creature, so I wouldnt' go along with it. It's too bad that it has to be done practically at birth, or maybe people could chose or not chose to have it done.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
People do chooose to have them done or not, I chose to remove them from my pups based on previous negative experiences. There's no right or wrong thing to do, its very much a personal preference to have them on or off. I wouldn't say I will never keep them on, just that I have no intentions to.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Honestly, I wish Angus didn't have them. :( His nails are so brittle, and it seems like he is constantly splitting his dewclaw for some reason.

But from what I understand that needs to be done when they are very, very tiny...

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I have always removed them and probably will continue to as I've heard all the stories I care to about ripped ones. My dogs have no probs hanging onto bones, etc, without their "opposable thumbs" either. I sell a significant portion of my pups to hunting homes who would not want to deal with them in heavy cover or crusty snow.

I just had my vet do a litter on Tuesday, and can tell you it's a straightforward process as long as the procedure is clean. I've yet to have an infection (14 yrs, 9 litters) and the pups are immediately back to normal w/in seconds of the procedure. I often do mine as early as 2 days however, as my pups tend to be on their feet very early (strong). Anne

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
People do chooose to have them done or not, I chose to remove them from my pups based on previous negative experiences. There's no right or wrong thing to do, its very much a personal preference to have them on or off. I wouldn't say I will never keep them on, just that I have no intentions to.

What I meant was , the people who buy the pups could chose. I always thought that the breeders had to do them when the pups were really little,and most people don't know what pup they will be getting that young, so the dewclaws are already removed. I realize that most breeders probably feel strongly about this, and either take them off or not, but it would be nice if the people who are eventually going to own the dog could chose.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
We took them off ours last year. I just prefer the cleaner leg for showing. I took mine all in to the vet in a basket, they did them in about 10 minutes, dab of surgical glue on the cut, and once they were home again, everyone was happy. Someday I might change my mind.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
What I meant was , the people who buy the pups could chose. I always thought that the breeders had to do them when the pups were really little,and most people don't know what pup they will be getting that young, so the dewclaws are already removed. I realize that most breeders probably feel strongly about this, and either take them off or not, but it would be nice if the people who are eventually going to own the dog could chose.
I had a request like that from an agility home about a year ago, and after I explained why it's not a good plan, I think they understood.

A breeder who really is trying to do the best for her future puppy homes, needs to evaluate each puppy for the whole 8 wk period. At 2-3 days old, you have NO idea if "puppy blue" is going to be your future MACH boy! Competition homes get the best structure (balance, etc) and the best "attitude" pups from me, right behind my own personal pick of course. They need it!!! Pet homes don't have strenous "jobs" requiring the best of the best. Other factors that would potentially go into choosing a pup may be CERF or well exam results-- certainly you'd not want to put a pup w/ retinal folds (or that was blind in one eye as one of my friends had happen a few years ago) or one w/ a heart murmor no matter how small, into a high level performance home. Slipping hocks also won't be discovered until a conformation eval can be done that 7th week or so. There are alot of things that can and SHOULD wash an otherwise great pet pup out of a strong competition home.

I'm looking at a litter of almost 6 day old pups right now, and outside of certain features, sure can't come close to picking the agility/hunt test pups!

A local "breeder" gives that dew claw choice up front... and also gives "pick" of the litter to the first person paying deposit. Obviously this is the sign of someone who isn't breeding for the right reason and probably know nothing about what qualifies a pup as "pick" outside of sex/color.
Anne

·
Registered
806 Posts
All my dogs have their thumbs and any puppy born here will keep there's. There's no greater chance of a dog tearing it's dewclaw in a field or crusty snow than any other injury occurring, and we don't go lopping anything else off at birth "just in case".

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.