Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The new rescue Honey has dewclaws, I noticed Thursday when I picked her up from vets, after being groomed that it was a little red and the groomer made a comment about it. Well, we just got back from a romp in the woods and I noticed her paw bloody. It was the dewclaw, it looks like it is broken in half, but it is weird, it is broken in half, with what looks like a new dewclaw underneath and dead nail broken to the side. Does that make sense? I cleaned it and put some kwick stop on it. She lets me mess with it without being sensitive to it. I will be taking her to the vet on Monday but anything I can do in mean time? Could it have been partially broken and a new growth coming, but the old nail still partially attatched?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think your right...I cleaned it up and cut away most of the dead nail...she tolerated it well. There is still a small piece that seems to be connected to tissue that IS sensitive. I will see what vet says Monday, no bleeding though and that is good!

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
no dew claws here, but I hope the vet can fix it easily on Mon. and your new addition is a lovely lady!

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
She lets me mess with it without being sensitive to it.
She's a Golden....she'll let you do anything to her as long as she's being touched/paid attention to, haha!

Sounds minor, our dog ripped a nail and the vet cut it back and bandaged it.

Update us with more pics when you get a chance!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
It's not pink and raw is it?

Angus has ripped his dewclaws in half more times than I would like. :( His have not bled terribly, but they were painful enough that he would not put weight on that foot.

The last time I bandaged his and kept Neosporin on it, and we ended up having to cone him for about a week (after I realized he was not above eating the bandage). But his was exposed quick (pink and raw-meat looking).

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It doesn't seem to bother her...she is walking fine and not even licking it. I don't see any exposed pinkness. Now the nail just looks jagged. I really don't think it warrants a vet visit, but she hasn't seen my vet yet and I want a second opinion on her ears anyways so...I'll have him look at the dewclaw too. I can't see her letting them cut it any further than I did...not without knocking her out and we are not doing that.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
No advice, just good thoughts for Honey!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts