Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do they need to be removed? ???
Why or why not?
The breeder we got our pup from did not like to remove them.

Do they need them?

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Some breeders remove them, some don't. Dogs do use them (for holding things, and also for traction on fast turns/climbing etc.)

If your breeder is leaving them on, keeping them trimmed close and short will minimize the risk of injury.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
If you do a search you will come across some dew claw threads.... one is started by me ...... and people do have some 'firm' opinions on the issue.... so I won't go into it again...... but my breeder removes dew claws and I am happy that she does. :)

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Do they need to be removed?
Unless you plan on heavy hunting through thick cover with your Lab (and even then, it is unnecessary) then no, they certainly do not need to be removed. In 99% of cases it is purely cosmetic and therefore unnecessary.

Why or why not?
Because it is unnecessary cosmetic surgery. You are effectively removing a dogs thumbs.

Do they need them?
Yes. They need them for gripping and they also aid with balance.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
If the breeder doesn't remove them, leave them be. My dogs have them and they use them.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Once the pup is home with you- it's really pretty much too late to do anything about it. It is a very, very painful surgery once done past 3-4 days old. I know my vet clinic refuses to do it once the puppy is past that age.

I couldn't tell if that is what you were asking.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! :)
I was just wondering why some breeders advertise the "dew claws removed". The breeder we got our pup from said she does not take them off.
I have never had a puppy before.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
The breeder we got our pup from said she does not take them off.
That is a good thing IMO. I wouldn't use a breeder who removed dew claws. Again, just my opinion.

Good luck with the puppy. How old is she?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Chrissy said:
I was just wondering why some breeders advertise the "dew claws removed". The breeder we got our pup from said she does not take them off.
Chrissy said:
Some breeders remove them because if a dog is going through heavy brush there is always the possibility of tearing them off.
Olie

D

·
0 Posts
I've never been an advocate of removing dew claws, but Diesel's stick straight out. Even trimmed they hazardous. I don't think he will have an injury problem since he will not be hunting, but he has cut me with his dewclaws several times. Since he loves to give hear hugs, I have to be fast to get my hands around those claws.

Hubby has a slash on his face just healing up from one of Deez's hugs.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Trickster said:
I wouldn't use a breeder who removed dew claws. Again, just my opinion.
I would not either. If dogs did not need them, nature would not have created it that way.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I do remove them. Why? I sell many pups to avid hunters and performance homes. Hunting on crusty snow & ice is very hard on them, and not to mention the fact that many pet owners are a bit lax about keeping nails trimmed in the first place. Untrimmed dews have been known to grow around right back into the leg... we saw it in rescues especially. And the ones that stick out like mentioned (or the floppy loose ones) are accidents awaiting to happen. A ripped off dew claw is an ugly, painful mess, so I'd just as soon have them removed at 2-3 days old. I would NOT recommend anyone removing them later than that however. I know that most hunters would NOT buy a pup from me if I didn't remove them, so let's suffice to say that there are 2 sides (both valid to some degree) to this coin. -Anne

1 - 12 of 12 Posts