Just Labradors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me the purpose of and advantage of removing the dew claws? I want to do it with Harley, but on if it's not for purely cosmetic reasons...

Kevin

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
If its not done already its too late, they are usually done when the pup's are days old, otherwise its a major procedure. This is a pretty testy subject so that is all I'm saying.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
I wouldn't do it. In most dogs, especially Labs, the dewclaws have bone in them that is extremely painful to remove.

Some dogs, like Great Pyrenees, for example, have multiple dewclaws and some of them are attached only by a flap of skin. Those ones are sometimes removed at the same time as neuter/spay since they are most likely to get caught on something and injure the dog.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
As others have already said, YOU don't remove them. It's done by the breeder before 3 days (that's our vet's preference) and if you happen to get a dog with them, you leave them on.

At this point, with having a dog that has them, there are really no negatives as a pet owner other than you will have to make sure that nail stays cut short as it doesn't wear down naturally. The positives are that dogs actually use that toe for gripping bones and such.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts