Just Labradors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is not for me. My mom has a Golden Retriever puppy. His dew claws were not removed. Is it recommended to leave the dew claws in if they're not removed as a baby? Is there harm in removing them at the same time the dog gets neutered? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
This question is not for me. My mom has a Golden Retriever puppy. His dew claws were not removed. Is it recommended to leave the dew claws in if they're not removed as a baby? Is there harm in removing them at the same time the dog gets neutered? Any thoughts would be appreciated!
If that is going to be done it is done in the first few days of life when the bone in there is soft. It would be rather painful to do at 6 months or older. And - next to impossible to keep the puppy from getting at the bandages.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I agree with the above. Once the joint has fused it's a much more involved process. Unless they're the flappy rear dewclaws that are just held on by a bit of skin and connective tissue.

Most dogs live their whole lives with dewclaws and are just fine. :)

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Correct, you do not remove dew claws if they were not removed by Day 3 of age. It's painful to do anytime after day 3. Pups are not born with fully functional nuerological systems so on top of the bone being soft to cut, their pain receptors are not full developed. After a certain point, it's a full on amputation like you taking off your own thumb.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.