Just Labradors banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
My lab used to be that way when she was just a pup. Like what some of the others are saying, training is a crucial part in ensuring that a lab is well-behaved. I had my pup trained for some time but it truly worked and she isn't keen on destroying anything ever since. I do try to give her treats and toys whenever I see that she's doing a good job of being well-behaved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
replace the furniture - with toys.

Our lab it 13 months. I have crated her all along, but she still spends unattended hours outdoors and in. Early in her life if she started to chew on something we didnt want her to, I shoved a rawhide chew or other toy in her mouth. I dont really suggest stuffed animals, unless you want to pick up their innards on a regular basis, but chew toys are great. There is a wonderful indestructible one called the Korg. It holds a treat, and they will spend hours on them. Ropes, scented vinyl toys, all her staples now. Google dog chew toys and get an Amazon Plus account. You'll be set for life.

·
Registered
89 Posts
You can start over with the crate.

Start by making it cozy…a nice bed of old towels (that you don't mind getting chewed) and a nice blanket to cover it.

Then toss a few kibble or some other favorite treat inside it and when she goes in to get it say "good girl". Repeat this several times. In fact, don't give any indoor treats anywhere but inside that crate.

When you begin to see that she is now associating it with good things, throw a new toy and a treat filled Kong in there. Encourage her to stay in there with the Kong or give her the "stay" command if she starts to come back out.

In a few days, you should be able to give her that Kong and shut the door while she eats the treats inside. Then you can use the crate when you can't supervise her.

It just means that you have to re-train her to think of the crate as a nice place to be.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.