Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Texas Stace

When the lightning flashes, this is NOT what you want to see.

THIS IS A PICTURE THAT LESIA CASANOVA'S HUSBAND TOOK IN THE GULF OF MEXICO.

HE WORKS ON AN OIL RIG AND DURING A STORM HE WAS GOING TO TAKE A PICTURE OF THE LIGHTNING.

HE WAS UNAWARE OF THE TORNADO UNTIL THE LIGHTNING ILLUMINATED IT.

This is a one-in-a-million photo...

Taken April 3, 2008.
Lariat # 2 Sandridge Energy
South of Ft Stockton, TX

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
I've seen that one, was floating around last year. Never heard where it was.

One problem, the Gulf of Mexico is out in the ocean, that picture was taken on land. Not sure what to think about it. I guess I need to check it out some, but it just has a couple things that look wrong to it, esp since I saw it as a very short video.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Excellent pic!!

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
This has been my favorite one since I first seen it in the special weather issue of Nebraskaland magazine in 1996.

I'll post the link, the lady who took it copywrited it, but has been gerous enough to let it be used on this site.

http://www.nebraskaweatherphotos.org/NEBLANDTORNADO.html

And yes it's moving away from the girl at an angle. About as safe as one can be 2 miles away.:D

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
That's a land rig, definitely not out in the Gulf. And the trees don't appear to be moving in the wind - which I'd think they'd be doing if the tornado were really that close. No debris flying around, which I'd think would be expected. Not to mention the flag (on the steps) is not only limp, it's blowing slightly in the wrong direction. Somehow, I have a feeling that someone was getting awfully creative with photo-manipulation software... Probably fake. Though admittedly a **** good fake.

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This has been my favorite one since I first seen it in the special weather issue of Nebraskaland magazine in 1996.

I'll post the link, the lady who took it copywrited it, but has been gerous enough to let it be used on this site.

http://www.nebraskaweatherphotos.org/NEBLANDTORNADO.html

And yes it's moving away from the girl at an angle. About as safe as one can be 2 miles away.:D
I don't see the grass blowing in this picture either but then I know SFA about tornados

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
The grass not moving on the ground but her hair a few feet up is not unusual. The original is on 35 mm and a lot harder to fake, this one has passed the experts. The guy who put up that site was on the radio the other day here, he predicts a stormy spring about like last year, which he called good.:D

Come on over, would be glad to try and teach you a bit.:eek: Might light up this afternoon even, got to be to work by noon, but will have my camera in case I have/get to watch the door.:D

I heard the Project Vortex folks from Norman Oklahoma were to leave yesterday.

That photo lacks the debris cloud that shows so well in the other one, also 99% of the time the lightning would be in front, unless it was building back behind like the ones in the SE US did on Friday. Note how calm the backside is on the other photo.

Also the clouds it's formed out of look to low.

All in all, if it's fake, it;s a good one and the person who did it should work in a movie studio if they don't already.

Now you gave me another project as if I needed another on, to see if I can find out what the pros say about it, remember, I'm just an amatur.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
It was digitally altered. Check out this link at snopes http://www.snopes.com/photos/natural/sedalia.asp
Thanks, you saved me the time, without the drilling rig the scale looks right, with that many that night, it explains the lightning behind, it was building behind. Just must have not been much to create a debris cloud.

My boss showed that to me, she got it in an E-Mail and sent it to me, but it was a short video that was dark and then the flash to show it, maybe 5-6 seconds. I had so dang much of my pictures to go through at the time, I didn't pay it much mind.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts