Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Biewer Yorkshire Terrier that was rehomed with me 3 weeks ago. I brought her into our home knowing that she has demodectic mange so this wasn't a surprise.

She is 9.5 months old right now, 6 lbs... I had her spayed & baby teeth removed the first week she was here and when she had her stitches taken out, we arranged for the mange treatments to start.

On Friday, she had her first treatment.

She did great! I don't see a difference in the color of the affect areas yet so I am looking for some wisdom from all of you.

How long does it take to see some improvements? (i know there is an 85% recovery rate at 12 weeks)

Is it normal for her to smell like her fur was burned?

We really want to give this baby a great start in life (as she's already been through so much).

On a side note, she is eating a prescription diet to put some weight on and taking an immune system booster supplement.

Thanks to anyone who give us an idea of what life will be like the next 12 weeks.

Regards,
Lorene

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
My dog had this when he was 9 months old, he just got it around his eyes after being neutered (the stress of the surgery caused it to appear). We treated it with Godwin Oil... a topical treatment I rubbed in around his eyes. It kills the mites that cause the mange. It cleared up completely in about a week.

I know the "dipping" procedure is much harder on the dog. I hope your dog starts improving quickly.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Most puppies will clear completely. Only a few with fairly severe immune system problems will become generalized. In 20 years of practice I have seen many, many puppies with focal lesions of Demodex, and I could count less than 10 that either became generalized or had recurrent bouts with the problem. Usually you will see some MAJOR improvements within 2-4 weeks. Best of luck to you with your new pup. ;)

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
My minpin had generalized demodectic mange, and she had it bad. She went almost completely bald, poor baby. People looked at me like I was the anti-christ when I walked her down the street. ::) :(

If they had you spay her and such, it's probably not nearly as bad as Peanut's was. (We had to wait until she was almost 2 to have her spayed, until then she had no immune system to speak of, and so wouldn't have been able to heal herself after surgery.) It also interrupted vaccine schedule, etc etc. Not fun. :-\

We treated her for over a year with ivormectin (I think that's how you spell it, it makes me happy that I can't really remember!) We had to start her out slowly and wean her off slowly, as it is a very powerful medication.

But now we haven't had any mange-related issues in over a year, and I think we can finally officially say she's cured!! :D

Good luck with your baby, if you have any more questions, please feel free to PM me. (I became a bit of a reluctant expert. I would have gladly never had to have been!)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much. I haven't read anything on Godwin oil but I'll be sure to check into it!!

Samira has a large section on her back, on both front legs and on her chest.

I am really wanting to give her a great new start so I'm committed to doing everything I can to help her beat this.

Again, thanks for your advice.

`Lorene

1 - 5 of 5 Posts