Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience with demodectic mange?? My dog was diagonised today with this from a biospy. She has hair loss on her muzzle, around her eyes and some on her stomach. There is also a patch on her stomach that is roundish, red and blotchy.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Oh my word- I have plenty of experience :(
How old is your dog? I have been battling this with my Vito for a year now, and we are not getting very far - I will post some more tomorrow.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
Yep, except my girl had it as a young adult (around 8 months) and then again when she was spayed. It can come on at any time when they are stressed. I use Nupro on her food to keep her immune system "boosted" a bit. She hasn't had any more since around 10 months. Her's was also around her eyes, muzzle and a few spots on her legs.
I think I remember you posting about hair loss around the eyes a few weeks ago and I suggested it could be mange. Hopefully, you caught it early on. What treatment did they give you? Be sure you are feeding a good quality diet.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have asked the vet many times about her hair loss and they always said it was either from the predisone or allergies. Now they tell me that she should never have predisone again, ever. I think the vet was surprised with the outcome. I don't know much about it. I would like to help her keep her immune system up.

What diet would you recommend? I don't know what food allergies she has as they won't test her because of all her mast cell tumours. So, I am to figure it out for myself. I have tried her on I think every hypoallergenic food out there without success.

Any suggestions? Since her surgery I have been giving her rice, boiled chicken as she had a tummy upset.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turns out it was the pathologist that suggested that we don't treat my lab for her mange. The report states that he found just mange fragments not whole mange mites in the sample analzyed. Since she is so sensitive we will hope that her immune system will heal on its own with a good diet, vit C and lots of exercise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts