Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...Apology for racial remarks called sufficient

Democrats on Sunday rallied to the defense of Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid from a political firestorm caused by his newly reported remarks during the 2008 presidential campaign describing Barack Obama as "light-skinned" who chose to speak "with no Negro dialect."

"I think if you look at the reports as I have, it was all in the context of saying positive things about Senator Obama," said Democratic National Committee Chairman Tim Kaine. "It definitely was in the context of recognizing in Senator Obama a great candidate and future president."

Mr. Reid apologized to Mr. Obama on Saturday, and the president issued a statement accepting the apology and saying he considered the matter closed.

The Nevada Democrat, a pivotal figure in Mr. Obama's hopes of passing a health care reform bill and other top agenda items, said later Sunday that he had no intention of resigning his leadership post or his Senate seat, as Republican lawmakers began demanding Sunday.

Sen. Dianne Feinstein, California Democrat, said Mr. Reid should not resign and defended his remark as just a "mistake."

"Clearly, the leader misspoke. He has also apologized. He's not only apologized to the president, I think he's apologized to all of the black leadership that he could reach," she said. "So the president has accepted the apology, and it would seem to me that the matter should be closed."

In a private conversation reported in a new book, "Game Change" by journalists Mark Halperin of Time and John Heilemann of New York magazine, Mr. Reid described Mr. Obama as an ideal candidate for the 2008 presidential campaign because he was a "light-skinned" black man "with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one."

While Democrats rallied to the Senate leader's side, Republican National Committee Chairman Michael S. Steele mocked Mr. Kaine's defense and he called on Mr. Reid to resign.

"If [Senate Minority Leader] Mitch McConnell had said those very words, then this chairman and this president would be calling for his head, and they would be labeling every Republican in the country a racist for saying exactly what this chairman's just said," Mr. Steele said.

Mr. Steele also compared Mr. Reid's remark to comments by Trent Lott, Mississippi Republican, in 2002. Mr. Lott, the Senate majority leader at the time, said at the 100th birthday celebration of 1948 presidential candidate Sen. Strom Thurmond of South Carolina that "if the rest of the country had followed [Mississippi's] lead" in supporting Mr. Thurmond, "we wouldn't have had all these problems over all these years."

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I can't stand Harry Reid but it's not like what he said wasn't true. If Obama was dark-skinned and said ax instead of ask, he wouldn't be president. All Reid did was acknowledge it. Shouldn't have to apologize for telling the truth.

If you want to get pissed off about saying negro instead of black, go for it, but that doesn't seem to be the part that's getting all the attention.

There's also a world of difference between Reid's acceptance of a political fact during a campaign season and Trent Lott's comment which basically supported segregation.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
I wonder what the Dems reaction would have been if Sarah Palin had mentioned his "light skin" and "Negro dialect".

The statement obviously means that since he is african american.....but doesn't look it......or talk like it.......he could win.....clearly racist no matter which side your on. (of course it might be true but that doesn't make it less racist.)

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
He will/would never leave or be asked to leave- without him this debacle of a healthcare plan has no chance and they won't take that chance. So he apologized, and all will be forgotten maybe as it should be.:confused:

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
I can't stand Harry Reid but it's not like what he said wasn't true. If Obama was dark-skinned and said ax instead of ask, he wouldn't be president. All Reid did was acknowledge it. Shouldn't have to apologize for telling the truth.

If you want to get pissed off about saying negro instead of black, go for it, but that doesn't seem to be the part that's getting all the attention.

There's also a world of difference between Reid's acceptance of a political fact during a campaign season and Trent Lott's comment which basically supported segregation.
I agree somewhat, but I tend to think the real reason is simply that if Reid resigns, that's one less Senator from their party and if a Republican had said it and been forced to resign then that's one less member of the opposition. Right now, they need every vote, so he probably would've had to say the other "n" word for them to throw him to the wolves. In the end, it probably doesn't matter. Whether it's on his terms or the voter's, it looks like Reid has one foot out the door already.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I don't get the comparison to Lott's statements. Lott was goofing around at Thurmond's birthday celebration, wasn't he?

Reid was, as far as I could tell, serious.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I don't get the comparison to Lott's statements. Lott was goofing around at Thurmond's birthday celebration, wasn't he?

Reid was, as far as I could tell, serious.
Goofing around is not an accurate protrayal of what happened. Lott was in a position where he was supposed to be paying tribute to Thurmond and, even to my conservative/libertarian ears, it sounded like he was saying that we wouldn't be having all these problems with the darkies if Thurmond had gotten his way.

Completely different than a meeting in which people were discussing the relative merits of different candidates and their chances with the American people. I am sure that a similar meeting was held amongst Republican big-wigs in regards to Romney's Mormonism; it doesn't make you anti-mormon, it is just a realization that it could be a problem in some segments of the country and you're going to have to make a judgment as to whether that problem is insurmountable when you're putting together a political campaign.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
It was less about Lotts comments directly and more him being interpreted as supporting beliefs of the past ie: Thurmond's comment's from his 1948 campaign for pres. "All the laws of Washington and all the bayonets of the Army cannot force the Negro into our homes, our schools, our churches."

As far a Reid goes I think he's much more socially inept than a racist.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
My big question is if he didn't do anything wrong why did he apologize, I don't apologze when I havn't done anything wrong, even if it pisses someone off.

And yes I don't think he did anything wrong except to say what well may be the truth.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
My big question is if he didn't do anything wrong why did he apologize, I don't apologze when I havn't done anything wrong, even if it pisses someone off.

And yes I don't think he did anything wrong except to say what well may be the truth.
Now your just trying to make to much sense Glen:)

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Now your just trying to make to much sense Glen:)
Well it's better than bending over like most of the Lemmings do if you like a guy in office, no matter what kind of a skank he is.:rolleyes: And yes saying yer sorry when you've done nothing wrong is pretty skanky to me, if not right down dishonest. Kind of like telling someone you'll respect them in themorning or you won't cum in their mouth.:eek:

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Oh and the check's in the mail, saw that somewhere as the three most common lies.:D

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
from The Washington Post
Obama excuses Reid for his comments, calling him a 'good man'

Updated 8:00 p.m. By Garance Franke-Ruta

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid acknowledged Monday that "I could have used a better choice of words" to describe Barack Obama in 2008, while Obama publicly excused the Democratic leader.

"There was nothing mean-spirited in what he had to say," the president said Monday of Reid, adding, "This is a good man who has always been on the right side of history."

"For him to have used some inartful language in trying to praise me, and for people to try to make hay out of that makes absolutely no sense," Obama told CNN's Roland Martin in an interview taped for the cable channel TV One.

Reid has been embroiled in a firestorm of criticism since his remarks were revealed over the weekend in a new book.

"I've apologized to the president. I've apologized to everyone that, within the sound of my voice -- that I could have used a better choice of words," Reid said at an Apex, Nev., news conference. "And I'll continue to do my work for the African American community."

Reid had described Obama as a "light-skinned" African American "with no Negro dialect," according to "Game Change: Obama and the Clintons, McCain and Palin, and the Race of a Lifetime" by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin. Republicans have fiercely criticized the senator, and GOP chairman Michael Steele, who is African American, has called for him to step down, suggesting that the comments reveal racism.

At the news conference, Reid described an outpouring of support from minority Democrats and political leaders that had touched him deeply, citing calls and offers to testify on his behalf from officials such as Attorney General Eric Holder, NAACP chairman Julian Bond, Interior Secretary Ken Salazar and political figures in Nevada.

"My heart has been warmed as to the response I've gotten around the country," he said. He also thanked his supporters for defending him in the Los Angeles Times and the Huffington Post, saying, "I really appreciate people writing nice things about me."

"The African American leaders in Nevada have been wonderful," Reid said.

"Actions speak louder than words," Salazar said of Reid in an interview with my colleague Chris Cillizza this afternoon. "What Senator Reid has demonstrated to me is that he walks the talk about having an America that is about inclusiveness."

The chairwoman of the Congressional Black Caucus came to Reid's defense on Sunday, saying in a statement that she had accepted an apology from him and brushing aside Republican demands that he step down.

"There are too many issues like the economy, job creation and energy for these regrettable comments to distract us from the work that must be done on behalf of the American people," said Rep. Barbara Lee (D-Calif.). "I look forward to Senator Reid continuing to serve as Majority Leader to guide this important agenda through the Senate," she said.

The NAACP branches of Reno and Las Vegas also accepted Reid's public apologies, according to the Las Vegas Review Journal, saying in a statement Sunday that Reid's voting record -- which had "the highest ratings on issues of critical importance to the African-American community" -- showed his true regard for African Americans.

"One need only look at Senator Reid's proven record of leadership on civil rights and social justice to know where his heart truly lies," said Lonnie L. Feemster and Frank Hawkins Jr. in the statement.

IMO, FWIW, Strom Thurmond was a racist.

Trent Lott's saying that the USA would be better following Strom Thurmond's principles: -- supports racism.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
So if he didn't do anything wrong why does he need to apoligze or be excused?

Sould like another wave of BS to me.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
His comments while probably not said with with a racist intent, sure were a poor choice of words and were worthy of an apology. I know if I say or do something stupid, I apologize. I dont see Reid claiming he did nothing wrong.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
His comments while probably not said with with a racist intent, sure were a poor choice of words and were worthy of an apology. I know if I say or do something stupid, I apologize. I dont see Reid claiming he did nothing wrong.
Well folks can like it or not, in reality all he did was speak the truth, a black man 10 times better than BO most likely would have never been elected had he been real dark and talked a lot of blacks do. Sorry, it ain't right, but it is the truth.

And it is sad when you catch crap for speaking the truth, but with politics what do you expect.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Lott never used the word NEGRO. Reid did. THAT's the racist trigger, IMHO.

And Lott's comments I don't think were necessarily couched in terms of segregation/nonsegretation, were they? Just a general idea that things would have been 'better' (in no certain terms, specifically racist or nonracist) had Strom's lead (in whatever) been followed?

And given my NEGRO litmus test, Thurmond IS a racist. Lott? Not sure.....

1 - 20 of 23 Posts