Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever participate in one? I did yesterday. It was AAA sponsored. Six hours. *amy-style thud to floor* But I enjoyed it.

Mostly refresher stuff for oldsters, but some things I hadn't thought about before.

One thing? The new "hold your hands on the steering wheel at 8 o'clock and 4 o'clock" is TOTALLY foreign to my being taught "10 o'clock and 2 o'clock". I'm kind of a 2:45 steering wheel holder, anyway. (That would be 9 and 3)

It feels really weird and I prolly won't stick to it. Driving a stick-shift kinda negates the safety theory of having both hands on the wheel at all times thing.

I did latch on to the distance rule when at stop lights or signs... be able to see the rear tires AND some pavement of the car in front of you.

Anyone else?

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
I've never done one, but it strikes me as a good idea. We all get lazy when we do something all the time. But six hours? No way!

BTW, I initially read your third sentence as "It was AA sponsored." :eek:

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
I took one as a teen, I think it was mandatory (??)

Speaking of driving lessons, I liked my Dad's way of teaching me to handle a car in the snow & ice, or "Fred's Winter Driving Preparation Course"... OR, "Don't Drive Like Dumbass".

On a random, snowy, nasty day, he'd take me out in his manual shift 1/2 ton Ford with "strong arm steering" to drive up and down Olie Hill...the steepest hill in our neighbourhood. Then he'd take me to the elementary school parking lot or the mall parking lot and make me spin out & get myself out of the spin. This consisted of me driving fast, then braking & steering out of it. Same uphill, I learned pretty fast that you have to make a run at a hill or you won't make it. He also taught me to change a tire and the oil too.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
I'm learning how to drive this year, and that was one of the rules hammered in.. leave at least one car length between you and the car in front of you at a red light, as long as there's no one behind you, (If you are hit from behind, the space will prevent you from hitting the car in front of you and getting injured) If another car comes behind you and stops, move up slightly (you won't need as much room now to stay safe in a crash) - but always leave yourself enough room for an escape route in case.

I actually enjoyed my last incar lesson, the first time I really liked being behind the wheel.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Well I'm not sure how it is in every state, but in MI you have to go through 2 sets of classes to get your license. The first one is a combination of in-classroom instruction and driving practice. Then you get your permit, so you can drive with a parent or adult over 21. You have to get 50 hours or something like that, including some at night, then you go back for the 2nd class, which is shorter and is just a few short movies that you have to watch. THEN you get your license. :)

We did learn to stop behind a car far enough back to see where their rear tires touch the pavement.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
They should be manditory every few years. In our state if you don't get a ticket in-between you don't even have to take the test, just an eye-check.:rolleyes:

Got two tickets when I was younger, had to take the test for my first re-newal, only had to prove I could drive the first time, in 1972.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I had it one summer in high school. It was fun and gave my parents the discount. I went twice a week for a hour for about two months though.

Jason just took it last Tuesday. He got a ticket on New Years Day :mad:, and he took it to prevent the ticket from going onto our insurance. He had to pay a fee, and he's only eligible to do it once every three years. Luckily, he doesn't get tickets often. He really hated spending an entire Tuesday night doing this and having to get up the next morning for work so maybe it'll make him think twice before he speeds again. :p

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I'm learning how to drive this year, and that was one of the rules hammered in.. leave at least one car length between you and the car in front of you at a red light, as long as there's no one behind you, (If you are hit from behind, the space will prevent you from hitting the car in front of you and getting injured) If another car comes behind you and stops, move up slightly (you won't need as much room now to stay safe in a crash) - but always leave yourself enough room for an escape route in case.

I actually enjoyed my last incar lesson, the first time I really liked being behind the wheel.
I was taught to do this when I worked in downtown Newark NJ in the 1980's. You leave enough room between you and the car in front of you so you can get outta there in case someone tries to car-jack you. And never stop for a red light at night. I'm not kidding.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
G'day,

I did one a few years ago, and would recommend it to anyone. It mainly covered hitting the brakes in a few situations but touched on related topics like tyre pressures, general good driving practices etc.
Eventually I'll try my hand at some of the harder ones if I can find one that fits the bill.

Cheers,

Pottsie

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I did latch on to the distance rule when at stop lights or signs... be able to see the rear tires AND some pavement of the car in front of you.
I was always taught to leave a metre of road between you and the car in front.

The first one is a combination of in-classroom instruction and driving practice. Then you get your permit, so you can drive with a parent or adult over 21. You have to get 50 hours or something like that, including some at night, then you go back for the ND class, which is shorter and is just a few short movies that you have to watch. THEN you get your license
Do you not have to do a driving test at the end? I have always wondered what the procedure was in the States. You have to do a 40-45 minute test here, driving around (usually in an urban area) and then perform a couple of maneuvers.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I had to take a defensive-driving course when I worked for the S. FL. Water Management District on the 80s. This one was taught by the Feds on their special course, and I also learned evasive moves to prevent kidnapping, as I picked up the Governor for the monthly meetings. I still practice some of the things I learned, like always being able to see the tires of the car in front of me on the pavement, and 'driving ahead' a least three cars to be prepared for problems.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
They should be mandatory every few years. In our state if you don't get a ticket in-between you don't even have to take the test, just an eye-check.:rolleyes:

Got two tickets when I was younger, had to take the test for my first re-newal, only had to prove I could drive the first time, in 1972.:rolleyes:

In AZ once you turn 18 your drivers license doesn't expire until you turn 65. You do have to get a new picture at 21 as the under age license is printed vertical not horizontal and then a new picture every 10 years. I rented a car at the airport in Albany NY about a week after the law went into effect. I also went and got a new license as mine was worn and hardly readable. You should have seen the rep at Hertz when my license didn't expire for 30 years she had to go get the manager to over-ride the computer.

I am going to take that same class in a couple of months..saves on my insurance bill.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Dh had to take one a few years ago after getting two speeding tickets in a week! If he took the class one of them stayed off his licence.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
get myself out of the spin. This consisted of me driving fast, then braking & steering out of it.

This is what i like about RWD. You can actually steer your way out of a spin.. try that on a FWD or in 4x4 and you don't get the control you do in RWD.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Nancy, you should get an insurance discount for taking that class, right? We do in NJ.

Theresa, once again, you have the coolest parents. :)

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Okay, seniors!

In MN, you take one of these courses and you get a 10% discount from most insurance companies.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Nancy, you should get an insurance discount for taking that class, right? We do in NJ.
I called you Nancy! HA!
*thud*

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
leave at least one car length between you and the car in front of you at a red light.
BBT - "That's ridiculous. That's not a standard measure!"
:D

I was taught to TURN YOUR HEAD ALL THE WAY AROUND IN THE SEAT before backing up. As in, yes, crane your neck to the side of the headrest so that your eyes are physically pointed toward the back window before putting the car in R.

Can't believe how many people -- and I'm married to one -- merely glance in the RV mirror and are off.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts