Just Labradors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out this morning, as usual, playing and training my dogs in the field. After about 30 minutes of Chuck-it, we moved to the agility equipment. I was trying to run Remington on the A-frame but Magnum would not move from under it and she was really distracting me (I didn't want her darting out at the last minute and me colliding with her).

I looked under there and saw the dead bunny.

Alas, something had eaten it's head.

Magnum, being the little earth mother that she is, was protecting it from and more harm.

I had to get a rake and remove the remains... entrails dangled as we walked off the field, Remington kept trying to eat it... gross.

Bunny is now food for buzzards. The cycle of life goes on.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Magnum makes me smile too. She's such the little earth mother. She is always finding things. In fact, day before yesterday she "found" 20 deer... all laying down quietly in the woods. Of course when the boys saw what she was looking at... they rushed in and the deer all jumped up and ran off!!! What an explosion that was.

And I will never forget the day she came trotting over to me with something obviously in her mouth. She was so gentle with it. I asked her to leave it, and she deposited a baby bunny in my hands. And you guessed it.. .when the boys found the bunny nest... they ate the babies before I could get across the field to stop the murder. Magnum was crestfallen.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Magnum...you are a sweetheart. Poor baby bunnies. We find a few around our property. Seems they are hunted alot by other animals. Molly mothers them, Abby shakes & kills them and not sure about Kate yet. She hasn't seen any yet.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think a bunny with no head is death.
I work for a newspaper, catchy headlines are ingrained in us.
Catch a readers attention, that is what they are meant to do.
I think you are taking it way to literally.
If it offends you, don't open or read it.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Awww, good girl Magnum! All of my kids would have been convicted of murder...that is is the body could have been spotted before they consumed it. I remember Belle in her heyday taking the full zap of an ecollar as she swallowed a squirrel whole, and another time scarfed most of a bunny before I could get to her.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Sammi just chases them, as soon as she catches up to them she just dances around and barks at them. Probably gives the poor things a heart attack, but has never physically harmed a one of them!

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Magnum seems like such a sweet girl. Bauer would have totally eaten a dead baby bunny . . . or at least ripped it to shreds. I'm not sure what he would do with a live one; the other day we were walking and I heard a squeaking noise, I looked down at him and he had a baby mole half in his mouth and half out. I have no idea where he found it (there was 3 feet of snow piled up on the side of the road), or how long he had it. He was just walking along with a baby mole trying to wiggle out of his mouth. I couldn't think of any normal commands quick enough, so I just yelled, "Do not eat that mole." I think it scared him more than anything, and he dropped it immediately and the little thing scampered away.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Debi ... Bauer's immediate compliance with infrequently used commands is absolutely astounding!

Therefore, and only as a suggestion, please be careful to NEVER use exclamations such as Carol and I let slip occasionally such as "Oh S__t!" and others that are even more graphic.

;)

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Debi ... Bauer's immediate compliance with infrequently used commands is absolutely astounding!

Therefore, and only as a suggestion, please be careful to NEVER use exclamations such as Carol and I let slip occasionally such as "Oh S__t!" and others that are even more graphic.

;)
LOL! He is just very sensitive to yelling. At home if he hears us yell, he hides (it has made all of us yell a lot less). It scared him when I yelled suddenly, but . . . it also scared my friend that I was talking to on the phone. She said, "I wasn't going to eat anything." :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.