Just Labradors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been noticing something when I brush Star. She seems to have dandruff. As I brush her little white flakes start working their way out of her coat. I don't bathe her often (in the eight months I've had her she has had three baths with moisturizing doggy shampoo) and I brush her a few times a week. Her coat is super shiney and healthy looking, so I am not sure what could be causing the problem. She is eating food that I buy at a grocery store, so I was wondering if diet could be contributing to the problem. Is this something I should take her to the vet for, could it be a sign of something serious?

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Could be diet. It is common so unless you are worried and very bad I wouldn't take her to the vet. Ernie has it and it is food related. Try another food and see if it improves. Don't feed anything else as it could be the treats so you can see what it could be.

Also feed some fish oil, or can fish in natural oil a couple of times a week helps.
Hope it clears soon.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Look at the ingredients in the food you feed. Some dogs have issues with corn, wheat, soy and get flakey and itchy.

3 baths in 8 months is a lot and even though you are using a good shampoo could be drying out the coat.

Fish oil is a good suggestion. You can also try apple cider viniger (organic) at 1 tbsp daily in food with water added. Both are natural so give them time to work. If she won't eat the ACV try giving 1 1/2 tsp in a.m. and p.m. meal with water added.

·
Registered
70 Posts
We had serious issues with my Golden Retriever as a puppy, with large flakes and dry skin. We changed her diet to a rice and lamb based dry food and supplemented her diet with fish oil. The problem cleared right up. Now, eight years later, we are having the same problem. We had started to mix her regular dry food with a "senior" formula, to try and keep her weight down and that was corn and chicken based. Once we dropped that food from her diet, the skin problems cleared up again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts