Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if I posted him before, but he's manic depressive. Has been for as long as I can remember and he gets really bad if he goes off his meds. I won't get into all the details about that, but Dad's Dr. died in February and now his prescription ran out a month ago. He's so high and he's loving it, so he claims that he can't find another Dr. to refill. I don't know how much you guys know about this sickness, but when a m/d is on a high, it's almost like they're on cocaine. They're on top of the world and nothing can hurt them. He also gets very generous (too generous) when he's high. A couple of years ago when he went through a 'no meds' period, he gave each of us kids $10,000. That was great and all, but it's not him. My father is a millionaire, yet he never gave any of us 4 kids money. We work for what we have and that's the way it's always been. Oh yea, he gave his girlfriends daughter his 2004 Explorer the other day and went out and bought a brand new one. :-\

So now him and his girlfriend are fighting because she's ready to leave if he doesn't fine a new Dr. to fill the prescription. My sister and I have been calling him everyday urging him to go. He just says "don't worry about me, I'm fine".

He's so not himself and I'm scared and worried. I want my mean old Dad back again. :(

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Oh Amy. I'm sorry.

I hope he gets his meds. I don't know anything about a manic depressive situation, but I'm guessing that the opposite of this high is very very (scary) low.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I can't give you advice but I can certainly empathize - M/D ups and downs can be debilitating and when they on their highs they truly believe they are healed and no longer require the meds. Good luck to you and I hope he gets back on before he hits the lows. Sorry you're have to deal with this.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
I'm sorry, Amy. I'm very familiar with it. He will crash soon, as you well know.....prayers for him and your family. I pray he gets those meds SOON!!!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He will crash soon, as you well know.
Not soon enough Sandy. They would last the entire summer when I was little.

B

·
0 Posts
Amy, I'll be praying for you and your dad. My brother is on a high right now too. I can hear it in his voice, my parents know nothing about the manic phase (or really the depressive side of it either) and my dad is too wrapped up in his own life and health issues to give a **** anyway. The crash is going to be spectacular. I hope your dad's isn't terrible - I know how scary it is when it happens.

I remember you and I talking about our dads before. I hope he gets his meds - depending on where he is (NJ right?) PM me and I might be able to get some recommendations from my family. My cousin has a couple of good docs up there. The only hitch would be getting your dad to listen and go...

Fingers crossed for you all.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I'm sorry Amy. Is there anyway you could get him ruled incompetent? Then you might have a better chance at intervening.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Oh boy, Amy. You've got all the prayers, good thoughts, best wishes, and encouragement for your dad from me.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Good thoughts, and prayers coming your way. I know all about this. My nephew is bipolar. I hope he gets back on his meds soon.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is there anyway you could get him ruled incompetent?
Hell no. You don't know my Dad. He's a big wig around here. I wouldn't do that to him anyway, I'd feel like I was betraying him. :(

My feeling on how he's going to handle the crash, as he's had before I'm pretty sure, is he'll refuse to go to the Dr. until he's feeling that he's crashing. Then he'll go back on meds and hopefully stay on them.

I can hear it in his voice
Oh yea Budgirl. When he got back from Florida not too long ago, I heard it in his voice on the phone right away.

Thanks you guys, I really appreciate the support.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
I sure hope he or his girlfriend can find a doctor that understands how he is feeling and get him back on his meds. Prayers for you and your family.

B

·
0 Posts
jzgrlduff said:
Oh yea Budgirl. When he got back from Florida not too long ago, I heard it in his voice on the phone right away.

Thanks you guys, I really appreciate the support.
My brother has been off work and injured with no medical insurance for about 8 weeks now. He was WAYYY down. Then all of the sudden, he started to go WAYYY up. I knew it was trouble when he decided to ignore the pain and go back to work. I mean, there's a point where you get tired of being broke and on assistance and I understand that more than I can express but he was doing the whole big huge plan thing that people do when they're high. All of the sudden he's back to working 6-7 days a week 12 hours a day. For a mechanic that's injured...yeah...he's all on the up side of a swing.

If you need anything let me know. I'll be here.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Leah, I hope your brother gets the help he needs too. I really, really miss my Dad when he's like this, as I'm sure you do your brother. :'(

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Sending good thoughts and prayers for your Dad. I can't imagine watching someone you love go through that.

B

·
0 Posts
jzgrlduff said:
Leah, I hope your brother gets the help he needs too. I really, really miss my Dad when he's like this, as I'm sure you do your brother. :'(
I think it would be worse in your case since you're in contact with your dad all the time...my brother just goes away. I've talked to him once in three months. The only reason was because my mom pestered him for four days straight last week to call me for my birthday and he still called me 3 days late. I didn't care, I still was glad to hear from him. I call and he just forgets to call back.

I am sending big hugs your way. This stuff really sucks. I hope it is a short spell this time for your dad. I know this is really hard on you.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts