Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... does it matter where I cut on the dead bit?

Do I try to cut as close to the living tree as possible, or do I have to leave a little stumpy? ???

Thanks, in advance!! :D

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Sorry, have no idea. Just felt bad that you had "0" replies.

We don't have trees in our yard. (oh, we have large pine type trees in the back but those are cut to the ground b/c they grow too tall)

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL!! Thanks, Linda! I appreciate it anyway!! LOL! ;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
It depends on how old and what kind of tree it is but for the most part yes you can trim off whatever is dead.Cut it off as close to the trunk as you like or leave a nub to hang something on etc..

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I have no idea what the text book answer is, but I always cut as close to the live as possible, making it flush where I can.

What kind of tree are you hacking?

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
Depends on the species. This really isn't the time of year to do any pruning. The sap is really pumping. Best to do it when the tree is dormant. Coniferous trees can generally be pruned any time, if necessary, but deciduos trees are prone to poor healing and disease if you prune when not dormant.

Dead branches can be removed any time. Just be certain they are dead.

Here is a reference on how to cut the branches.

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/howtos/ht_prune/cuts.htm

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! :D

I really have no clue what kind of tree it is... except it's definitely deciduous and has yellow fern-frondy kinda leaves? I really ought to google it and see if I can find it...

Took another look outside and the dead branches (no yellow fern-frondy kinda leaves) may be out of reach even with my ladder. The tree itself is on my side of the sidewalk, but some of the (live) branches are close to the power lines... so I may just call LondonHydro and see if they'll come and prune those branches and maybe convince the guy to hack off the dead ones while he's up there. ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts