Just Labradors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
If you ever decide to get a dog other than a Lab, due to the fact that you rent, be aware of breed restrictions for apartments, some lists include Dalmatians - pure and/or mixes. I realize you are just window shopping, but still something to keep in the back of your mind.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Cute. I swear your humane society has the cutest selection of puppies. Ours rarely has puppies, which is a good thing- but still..

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you ever decide to get a dog other than a Lab, due to the fact that you rent, be aware of breed restrictions for apartments, some lists include Dalmatians - pure and/or mixes. I realize you are just window shopping, but still something to keep in the back of your mind.
Oh believe me... I read the fine print on any apartment/lease I look at. Around here it's less about breed restrictions and more about size... the most common being "must be under 30 lbs"... which is just ridiculous in my opinion. That's the stipulation in my current lease... however if I was on the first floor, they would allow me to have a larger dog.

The two nonsense reasons they cite:
#1: Smaller dogs are allowed on the upper floors if they are "litter trained"
#2: Large dogs aren't allowed on the upper floors cause something about the person under you hearing the dog walk around or something.

Umm... #1 you can train ANY dog to poop/pee in a litter box (though why you'd want to I have no idea... and in fact, smaller dogs DO take way longer to potty train than larger dogs so there is more opportunity for accidents in the apartment/hallway) #2 Uh... do they discriminate against heavier people? no... and I'm pretty sure I weigh more and definitely make a helluvah lot more noise walking around in heels than even the largest dog breed.

The crappy part is the apartment manager knows me and obviously knows Ender and how great Ender is (as an apartment dog) and by extension, how good of a dog owner I am (seeing me pick up after Ender outside... something the small dog owners in my apartment do NOT do most of the time, and how well behaved Ender is... "does he ever bark?" was the comment he kept making)

But he doesn't make the rules... :(

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Uh oh... I think I found a cutiepie that would be okay for my apartment...
http://www.wihumane.org/animals/animal.aspx?id=7165891

Keep telling myself she'll be a yappy kind of dog that will drive me nuts.
She is so cute, but you are right she would probably be yappy. The people down the street from me breed miniature dachshunds, and they bark at everything and everyone.

Your humane society has a really nice website, ours sucks. I know that I am not getting another dog anytime soon, but I am always window shopping on the humane society website too.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts

I love her! so pretty.

Him too...he looks like a real character.

But I agree -- stop torturing yourself, Lindsay! your humane society has so many adorable dogs.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Rescue Cutie

http://www.tailshumanesociety.org

Scroll down to see Scruff. I am soooo..... tempted to pay Tails a visit. I have only been there one time and wanted to bring 4 dogs home with me. This little cutie just looks like she should be mine.

This is suppose to be a reply to Linds post, but looks like it is going with it's own thread.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts