Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had weekly "LabFests" for over 5 years, every Saturday, 2-3 PM.

Over those years, we've had maybe 40-50 Labs participate before they and their owners transferred to other jobs out of town. At any one meeting we have between 3-13 Labs depending on weather, etc.

Over those years, some Labs seem particularly attracted to Puff (I think always male Labs but am not absolutely sure of this).

They love to chew on her neck and Puff usually leaves our meetings with a wreath of wet fur and saliva around her neck.

Today, Puff was sometimes on her back with 4-5 other Labs finding places to "play chew" on her. Her neck was obviously the most desired spot but those Labs that couldn't reach Nirvana settled for hind legs.

I've believed that IF Puff was hurt, she'd yelp and she never has under these circumstances.

BUT some of the other Lab owners are more concerned at this behavior than I am and (futiley) calling to their Labs to stop their behavior.

Any suggestions on why they choose Puff or what's going on?

Pheromones?

Anything else?

Puff is also the fastest of all Labs she's ever met. She's like the greyhound rabbit at a racetrack and occasionally she takes off and all the other Labs are stretched out chasing behind her. She has a fantastic ability to "juke," to change or reverse directions far beyond that of (yet) any of her pursuers. Whenever this occurs (several times), it's a highpoint of our meeting with everyone cheering for Puff and the race.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I would love to see Puff "jukin' and jivvin'." I bet she is something to behold! :)

I don't have any insight into your question, but just wanted to provide you with a little bump to bring you back to the top.

My neighbors have 2 labs, both chocolate, one male and one female. My two and their two often (read: daily) have rousing playdates together. Their female (the only female in the pack) spends a great deal of time on her back. She, too, is on the receiving end of a whole lot of neck chewing. My impression was that the other dogs were doing this as a form of domination. But, I really don't know. I will keep an eye on this thread for more answers.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Puff sounds just like Nellie. The neck and leg attacks by other labs, the running with the wind and being chased. I'm not sure why the chewing happens but I chalked it up to Nellie being an Omega lab and allowing this behavior. I have noticed that when she runs "like the wind" it is because she is tired of being chewed on.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Every now and then Puff is able to escape the chew-fest by either a single male or several and she drapes the front half of her body over my lap (while I'm sitting in a folding lawn chair).

If the chewer tries to continue when she's in this position, several people usually call out "ALL-LEE, ALL-LEE EN FREE!!"* and I'll put my arm around Puff's neck to protect it/her.

But Puff usually stays in that position only a few seconds before hopping down and going back to the play.

*A chant used by some kids in the USA playing tag or hide-n-seek meaning they've achieved a safe place.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
It sounds to me as if Puff is just a very gentle and loving dog, and friendly. She's like the kid on the block that everyone wants to play with. As long as the play is not rough, I wouldn't worry about it. If anyone's dog got rough though, I'd be pulling them off her in a heartbeat...but it sounds like Puff has things pretty much under control.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts