Just Labradors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have "adopted" a puppy (not a lab) and I am not very knowledgeable about what behaviors are ok and which need to be addressed. Vet said she is about 12-14 weeks, but we have no idea what she might be. She is very small - only weighed 5.6 lbs when I took her to the vet on 4/3. She is thin due to her hard start on life, but we are slowly trying to get the weight on her.

Dixie has been the only dog in our household. We have never owned two dogs at once, so I have no idea how they should act together. Dixie gets very excited when they play and usually puts the puppy on her back. She is very mouthy with her and pushes her around with her nose. The puppy is not scared of her, but you can tell that she knows when Dixie means business. I just want to know at what point I step in. I don't want the puppy to get hurt, but at the same time I want Dixie to be able to establish some ground rules with her. Any suggestions?

Grace

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
As long as puppy is not scared of her, it's probably all play. I appreciate your concern because of the difference in size and that Dixie, having been an only dog, may not know limits with the little pup, but it sounds like Dixie has it under control.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
I think you are on the right track.. Just keep an eye on them and obviously, if you think they are playing too hard, you can split them up.

Sometimes Abbey will play really hard with my parents' dog, who has about 15 lbs on her, and one of them will get annoyed and the other won't stop. That's when we have to tell them to cut it out and give them a break. Obviously with a puppy and an older dog, you might have to do that, too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts