Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night at agility class, a vet, who is a fellow agility student was telling us about a case she had this week. The dog ate a child's teddy bear and was very sick. When she opened the dog up to remove what she thought was an intestinal obstruction she found a huge gelatin type mess inside and the dogs intestines were black and the tissue dead. The dog will die no surgery can fix him up there was no living intestine left from stomach to colon.

This was not an obstruction. .... so she called the manufacturer of the Teddy Bear on a quest to find out what the gel was and what killed the dog. Turns out the stuffing in children's toys contains ingredients for flame retardants and mite control! It is designed to be come a gel. It is highly toxic. Now you would think a child's toy would be safe because it is for children, but they don't expect a child to eat the stuffing of the toys... huummmm that seems a bit scary too. But we all know dogs demolish stuffed toys.

So do not give or buy your dog any children's stuffed animals... some people get them at goodwill etc. The vet will be posting a warning and story and I will send any other facts as needed and as I learn more. Maybe some children's toys do not have this ingredient, but better to be safe then sorry. So meanwhile, make sure all your dog toys are for dogs. Please pass this on... it is a horrible death she described and one that can be avoided.
This was on Angus' breeder's website as a caution.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,345 Posts
Oh wow. I know some get the toys at Goodwill and I have thought about it just never did. I feel for this poor dog. How sad. Thanks for passing this along
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the snopes, I hadn't checked there. It's true enough to scare the bejeepers out of me! Angus demolishes stuffies, so he's strictly a Kong boy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,586 Posts
That went through our dog club distro the other day too, with the link to the snopes article. How horrible! We don't do stuffies either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,489 Posts
Oh no! I get toys at goodwill all the time for Willy. He's never eaten the stuffing that I know of, but I won't be giving him those any more. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,990 Posts
I stopped buying stuffies due to the instantaneous destruction of same as soon as they hit the floor. Good to know however.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
728 Posts
Wow! That's scary! My kids have stuffed toys that the dogs love to try to get a hold of! I'll be even more cautious now! Thanks!
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top