Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we brought Dakota home he has loose stools. In his previous foster home he was on Purina one I bought I 5lb bag and mixed it with what I feed Wellness White fish and Sweet Potato. His stools have been soft for the week he had been here. In the mornings they are little more formed but still soft. Could it be the food anyone have any suggestions on, a food I may try on him. I know others mentioned certain foods caused loose stools for thier dogs. Any advise would be great.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Adding pumpkin will probably help, but when Mitzi had that problem, changing to Eagle Pack Lamb or Eagle Pack Duck and Oatmeal, which she is on now, solved the problem. Now she doesn't need the pumpkin. The oatmeal must be the ingredient which makes the difference.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
He may still be adjusting to the food. Have you tried putting some canned pumpkin in with his food? Other than that I don't know what to tell you. Nellie is on Chicken Soup made by Diamond and does very well on it.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I was never able to feed Wellness. Gave the dogs very loose stools. Why not feed what the dog was used to, the Purina ONE

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Simon had perpetually loose stools from the time we brought him home. It didn't seem to matter what kind of food, they were always so soft.

I was talking to the girl I buy my food from, and telling her the story of his poopies. :p She said something I had never thought of and found very interesting: That sometimes overfeeding can cause loose stools. I told her what I was feeding and how much, and she said she had a strong suspicion that might be the problem. So, I cut back. And his stools have been fine ever since.

I'm sure it's not always the case, but just thought I'd pass along our experience. :)

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I am wondering why you switched him too. Is it what the rescue recommends? I'd stick with what they sent him on.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With all the moves he had, he was not on a steady dog food.  Purina One was what the previous foster mom had him on and not very long a week or two maybe. Before that what ever the pound fed him. His history only he knows.  Wellsness is the only food Zoey has not had ear problems on.  The rescue recomended feeding a no corn dog food. Wellness fit the bill and I tried him on it.  We were giving him 2 cups twice a day because he is so thin 59 lbs.  Maybe connie is onto something with the overfeeding. However someone mentioned fiber in a dog food makes a difference.  Wellness does not have very much compared to others.  He has had loose runny stool since day one I just thought it was nerves at first. He stool was tested at the vet for heart worms and such, and she knew of the loose stools.  I have a worry about Giardia ( wonderful nurse I am the spelling looks wrong) all the close contact he had it is possible. Kids at daycare pick it up through toys. In fact if I remeber correctly it transmitted oral fecal route. I just may get him checked for peace of mind.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Try adding the pumpkin to his food and cutting back 1/2 cup each meal. Give his tummy time to adjust tot he different food, too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts