Just Labradors banner

Critique please...

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Fallriver 
#1 ·

2 year old male...

See less See more
G
#3 ·
Do you have any other stacked pictures of him? I'm newish to conformation anyway, but I'm having a hard time evaluating him with him being so stretched out... hard to get a good feel for his angles and such...looks like a nice boy though ;)

#4 ·
It hurts my eyes a bit...the background is so busy that it is really hard to look at the dog.
Please send another as that's a nice dog you have there and I'd like to see, her is it? I can't even tell the sex with the background ;D

#6 ·
Sorry about the clutter, it was in our garage, after grooming, he was on the table for a brief moment, so we tried to snatch some pictures. It is a male, that picture doesn't do his head justice, it's actually much blockier.
Yes, I agree, he is a bit too overstretched it the photo as well. I think he could have more angle in his hind leg, maybe a flatter back (His croup is slightly rounded), but when he gets his tail going....

Here is another photo of him, he wasn't groomed, but it might show a little more. Also here is a new video.

again, Not the best photo, but...

And here's the link for the video.. (He is not groomed)

http://s139.photobucket.com/albums/q318/CarouselKennels/?action=view&current=Picture440.flv

Thank you for your comments... Let me know what you think further...

#7 ·
It's not possible to assess him fully because of the way he is stacked.

His hock needs to be at right angles to the ground. The way he is stacked in every photo takes away all his angulation in the back leg and makes him look like he has a very straight stifle and no second thigh. Try stacking his back end a bit closer in and see if he looks different. If you want an example of how to place back legs you can look at the textbook photos that Fallriver posted as an example.

Try to get him leaning into his front a bit too. He looks like he has a great front but he's "posting" in all but the first photo.

I do like him though. :)

I haven't downloaded the video due to my small download limit so I can't see him there.

#8 ·
In the video, it looks like he has a bit of an arched loin and sloping croup. Stretching his rear legs so far out "fixes" the way his topline looks, but makes a very poor presentation of his rear assembly. Were you the one who taught him to stack? I think he has good stifle and hock angles judging from him walking a bit in the video. Once he starts moving, his topline arch becomes apparent. I'm a total novice, but if I were you, I'd stack him showing his good angles in the stifle and hock and take a chance on a judge realizing that a bit of an arched loin is not as big of a fault, IMO, as no angles in the rear assembly.

Also, I've seen some people groom their Labs, but I don't think a Lab ever belongs on a grooming table. I think your boy looks much better in ungroomed photo (in the groomed photo his coat looks feathery and open).

I think he is very nice otherwise. I like his head. It looks a bit Pointer-like in the photos, but I think it looks much nicer in the video.

#9 ·
Thanks for the tips! It wasn't me stacking him, it was just something we threw together, I usually point the hocks straight down and level.
Yes, he does have a slight slope to his croup, I think if we ever got that tail going, he could maybe even it out a bit.

Oh, yes Labs do not belong on the grooming table, I know, at the time we were grooming a Springer, we have it all set-up, it was dark outside, and not much room anywhere else, so we thought we'd throw him up there and snatch a picture really quick after his grooming.

(By the way, the photo his the night before he took a RWD) Professional picture coming soon.....

And yes, he does tend to post! I will try to ghet some better pictures later, thanks for your opinions!

#10 ·
OK, I'll give it a shot but this pic isn't too much better ;D
He has such a classic headpiece. You don't see heads like that as often these days and its a shame...no snippiness or cheekiness at all....very old style head.
Front is good and flows into a lovely neck. Well padded feet, ample bone, good coat. I'm not too worried about his croup...that's why you don't groom labs. The pic where he is up on the table gives the appearance of a low tail set because his coat is disheveled and sticking up.
I would like a bit more turn of stifle and a bit more second thigh but that might come with age. He could be better let down at the hocks too, but that's not too big a deal. Does he carry yellow? He has the By tail on him...I would like to see it a bit more wrapped but its certainly decent.
When he posts, it makes him look long cast and I don't think it is.
Nice boy definitely and you will do well with him.

#11 ·
Hi there. First off, I am not a breeder, just a newbie getting started and interested in show. . . But I wanted to say that he looks real nice in the video. I think he looks nicer in the video then what is being captured in the picture you attached. I do really like his head. Do you happen to have a full on view of his head? I would love to see his face. ;D

Karen.

#14 ·
We have worked hard on trying not to have him post anymore. Thanks for your honesty. Does anyoone have any tips we can help to have him not post anymore? I mean obviously we shouldn't be rewarding if for that, we don;t meant to, so we hope to try a new approach.
We've tried stepping back, so he lowers his head and straightens out, but he just follows, it's just not working We've also tried lowering the bait, but it just doens't work either. We'd eventually like to get him to freestack on a long lead, but it seems impossible right now, HELP!

#15 ·
First, teach him to stand and stay and then go back to having him watch the bait. Keep it light and fun. Hold the bait at your hip so he is looking straight ahead, not up.
Once you have a solid stand/stay, then you would do well to get a clicker and a mirror and click the behaviour you want and then release him forward toward you for the food...that will prevent him from rocking back on his front legs.
When you have him on the stand/stay, suddenly break it off and toss food up for him to catch...do it at different intervals and releae him with GET IT! This will keep him happy and alert and because he is focused on the food, it will help you to teach the stay at the same time. Gradually back up and if he moves forward, just stop the game very suddenly and he will realize his mistake and stay where he was last time.
Use a mirror though...the behaviour you feed is the behaviour you get, so make sure you don't click unless you see him standing the way you would like him.
Here is a good article for you:
http://nipissingkennelclub.com/showtrain1.htm
There are several parts, so keep going.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.