Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, when I was younger I made some mistakes, and I'm paying for my credit mistakes. I applied for a job today and they run a credit check?

What is gay hell does my credit have to do with how well I can do the job?

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
My sister just experienced this as well. Job was her's pending drug test, reference check and credit check. She told them the drug and reference check would be no problem, but straight out that her credit was beyond crap (ex-husband put them very in debt and now supporting 2 kids with limited support, etc.). They overlooked the credit. I think if you are up-front honest, and explain about younger mistakes, you have a better shot than if they just discover it on their own. Good luck.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Exactly nothing, but more and more employers are doing it. There was something about this on the news the other day. Apparently a potential employer cannot do a credit check without your permission. I wonder what would happen if you refused to allow it?

Also, according to this link, a credit check can only be done if "the information is necessary for job-related purposes." http://smallbusiness.findlaw.com/em...ployment-employer-hiring-checking-credit.html Not sure how "necessary" would be defined.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I worked for a bank as Assistant Manager. They ran credit checks on Management every couple years. My Manager was fired because she claimed bankruptcy. I think the logic behind it is if you are in a position where you have access to the financial aspect of a company and you are having money problems, you are more likely to do some unethical things. I'm on the fence with this. I did have an employee who stole.

What I find stupid is many insurance companies are beginning to check your credit report before they insure you.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Almost every job I've had ran a credit check. The last two were with a bank, so that may explain that, and they ran one when I was substitute teaching in between college and law school.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
We run credit checks on potential new employees where I work. Ostensibly it's because of access to corporate charge accounts but I think the owner likes to look at how responsible people have been in the longterm. He likes that it is an objective criteria.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Golfgirlrobin said:
He likes that it is an objective criteria.
People often make the mistake of confusing "numerical" with "objective." A credit score is not an objective marker of responsibility--what if you didn't have insurance and fell off a roof?

·
Registered
441 Posts
In Canada, you cannot run a credit check, drug test etc as part of the interview process. However, once an offer is made, a satisfactory results can be a condition of employment. These can only be done if they are a bonafide requirement i.e. as Nick said, working in a bank or in the case of drug testing, a pilot. Having said that drug and alcohol dependency is viewed as disability. So if someone with an dependency for drug and alcohol applies for a job, they cannot be overlooked simply because they have an addiction. In short, it depends on the position.

Not sure what the laws are in the States.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SandieF said:
I worked for a bank as Assistant Manager. They ran credit checks on Management every couple years. My Manager was fired because she claimed bankruptcy. I think the logic behind it is if you are in a position where you have access to the financial aspect of a company and you are having money problems, you are more likely to do some unethical things. I'm on the fence with this. I did have an employee who stole.

What I find stupid is many insurance companies are beginning to check your credit report before they insure you.
My company does this only when we hire from outside - not when we promote from within. I had one of my managers - an internal promotion - who stole 19,000 from us before we caught her and fired her. And as it turned out --- she had massive money problems.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
theoconbrio said:
Golfgirlrobin said:
People often make the mistake of confusing "numerical" with "objective." A credit score is not an objective marker of responsibility--what if you didn't have insurance and fell off a roof?
That may be true, but six or seven years of this kind of scorekeeping may well be more accurate than the 30 minutes the person sits in front of you putting their best foot forward. And we're a construction company, we don't want people who fall off of roofs anyway. ;)

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I work in a Car Dearlership they run a credit check on all employees also I just got State Farm auto Insurance they ran a credit check ::)

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Ran a credit check on me too for my job.

I guess it gives them an idea of how "responsible" you are. Also, if you are going for a position that may involve you having access to company financial expenses...company credit cards etc etc. They'd like to know how good you are with money...

·
Registered
163 Posts
GEEZ!! Everybody makes mistakes and I know people who's partners or ex partners have landed them in the red.

How the hell are you supposed to pay back the money if you can't get a job? It seems to be an invasion of privacy. ???

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Nick said:
Almost every job I've had ran a credit check. The last two were with a bank, so that may explain that, and they ran one when I was substitute teaching in between college and law school.
Almost every job I have had has too. Mine were all legal jobs as well. I think they consider it necessary because they want to see how susceptible you are. If you have huge credit issues, you may be susceptible to bribes, etc.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Since I have always worked for a finacial type business I have had to always go through a credit check. I have been denied a job just because of my credit. THey loved everything else about me. Thats crazy.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
theoconbrio said:
Golfgirlrobin said:
What if you and your spouse split up (him having the education) and you didn't have much income.... but you still had the bills... and you had to try to pay for housing, childcare, car expenses, utilities and food by yourself. This happened to me. Although I didn't default on any of my bills, there for a while, there were a lot of slow pays. This really hurt my credit scores. I can also say that I have NEVER EVER considered stealing money or anything else.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
I look at it both ways. It does show some level of responsibility but it doesn't explain why it has happened (Shanna for example). I think who you are and how well you can do the job should be a determining factor.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts