Just Labradors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've posted this before, but I can't remember. Starting in college, I started getting daily credit card offers...not only was it annoying, but I hated having those in the mail box after I moved (even though I always fill out a change of address form I was still concerned).

You can opt-out (https://www.optoutprescreen.com) where the credit agencies will take you off of their lists they give to credit companies and insurance companies. Unless you actually start the process (i.e. apply for something), you will not receive the firm offers from them. These almost completely eliminated all those credit card offers in the mail.

I must have done the 5-year plan in 2002, because I recently started getting them again. This time, I'm permanently taking my name off. You can always go back and add your name if you really miss getting the offers.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One more thing, if you don't want to do it online, the telephone number is on the back of most offers. The phone number is 1–888-567-8688.

G

·
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/prescreen.htm

Can I reduce the number of unsolicited credit and insurance offers I get?
If you decide that you don’t want to receive prescreened offers of credit and insurance, you have two choices: You can opt out of receiving them for five years or opt out of receiving them permanently. Call toll-free 1-888-5-OPTOUT (1-888-567-8688) or visit www.optoutprescreen.com for details. The telephone number and website are operated by the major consumer reporting companies. When you call or visit the website, you’ll be asked to provide certain personal information, including your home telephone number, name, Social Security number, and date of birth. The information you provide is confidential and will be used only to process your request to opt out.

Remember that if you have joint credit relationships, like a mortgage or a car loan with a spouse, partner, or other adult, you may continue to receive some prescreened solicitations until both of you exercise your opt-out right.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Thanks Nick. I have the toll free number sitting here on my desk for awhile and just never got around to calling them. This was much easier! :)

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I did that a while back too it has helped a lot I still get a few things but mostly from the cards I have wanting me to get another card.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts