Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
That sucks... cause the credit rating is partially based off your amount of available credit. Hence why closing your credit accounts you aren't using is bad for your credit rating.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's weird, I don't really use mine at all, 1 or 2 of them not at all, I have a credit score in the 800's, it only went down because they check it when we bought our house. I hope they don't close mine down too, I like to have them for an emergency, if they do it's fine, I still have other emergency ways of money.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
My oldest card has become our internet shopping card. I like knowing only one credit card number is out there for web purchases. Pay it off every month.

Second oldest card I have our newspaper payment auto-deducted from it every month and pay it.

You definitely want to keep your oldest cards alive - never close them.

The other cards I'll just throw something on periodically and pay it off. Maybe, I'll set up another bill to be auto paid with it so I don't have to worry about it. That's probably the best way to keep your cards active if you're worried.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
Actually I think this has been SOP for quite a while--like maybe 10 or 15 years? I had a gasoline cc that I never used and it got closed 20 years ago.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
We only have one, and it's for emergencies! Eeek! It's got a great rate, I'm going to go buy something on it but how long do I have to wait to pay it so it'll count. (I have a personal issue with paying interest rates if I don't have to, it'll kill me if I need to wait long enough for them to wet their beaks)

I just read the article; way to punish people who are trying to be responsible. What a BS self-serving system we have.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
MickeysMommy said:
We only have one, and it's for emergencies! Eeek! It's got a great rate, I'm going to go buy something on it but how long do I have to wait to pay it so it'll count. (I have a personal issue with paying interest rates if I don't have to, it'll kill me if I need to wait long enough for them to wet their beaks)

I just read the article; way to punish people who are trying to be responsible. What a BS self-serving system we have.
It's not punishing people for being responsible, they are in business to make money. If you have a card you never use, you are costing them money. Successful businesses fire unprofitable customers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts