Just Labradors banner

how much credit card debt do you have right now?

• 0-300$

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 301-1000

• 1001-2500

• 2501-5000

• 5001-7500

• 7501-10000

• 10000-15000

• over 15k

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another thread got me wondering how much credit card debt people have on their cards.

At one time, we were naughty and had a lot...we bought a fixer upper and put way too much money into it.

We have learned NOT to do it anymore.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
We have finally gotten to the point where we pay off the balance each month, but we do tend to charge a couple of hundred a month each. I use mine less than DH as he collects points.

Now credit line debt, that's finally getting to a manageable state too, but it was pretty high for us when we got married, bought a house, and DH was in school FT.

·
Registered
554 Posts
One thing i've always been taught, don't put anything on the credit card you can't pay for at the end of the month. So I got a credit card that has a good rewards program (even thought it has a sky high interest rate), but I pay the balance off every month. Makes it easy, I put EVERYTHING on it...electricity bill auto pay, directv auto pay, gas, groceries, entertainment, etc. Don't write hardly any checks.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
my motto is "you only live once and can't take it with you when you go" so i fully enjoy the life i am living now and that means charging things that make me happy like books, cars, shoes and kitchen utensils. most of the other stuff on my card is needed like vet bills and doctor visits that aren't covered by insurance. i plenty on my card right now (but my credit score is over 800 as of feb.). i will have a student loan refund that will really help out with that balance in the summer. life is too short to not enjoy everything there is out there. my card is low compared to some of my friends who put their house downpayment on their credit card.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
At one point in college, I racked up about $4,000 on credit cards.
That's about what I had accumulated as a full-time student. Since graduating though, SU and I have made a point not to live beyond our means. We put just about everything we buy on our Visa (to get airline miles), then pay it off every month. It's tempting to go a little wild sometimes, but I don't wanna be in credit card debt again. Mortgage and car payments freak me out enough.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
about $200. which will be paid next thursday before the due date. I am now a stickler who hates to pay intrest. (far cry from my university days)

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I've finally got my husband into the paying it off every month mindset. I hate debt of any kind; I even pay my bills the day they come in so they're not sitting there staring at me.

I grew up with very little and watched my depression-era parents save up for things. It's too bad we've lost that mentality.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
weheartlabs- we have some shady developers and morgage companies around here who will take a 5000.00 down payment from your credit card (which is what they paid as a deposit). i don't know how they get away with it but i would not want something like that.

·
Registered
5,765 Posts
Golfgirlrobin said:
I've finally got my husband into the paying it off every month mindset. I hate debt of any kind; I even pay my bills the day they come in so they're not sitting there staring at me.

I grew up with very little and watched my depression-era parents save up for things. It's too bad we've lost that mentality.
Maybe that's a result of me getting $4,000 in debt (which was awful for me, I know a lot of people tolerate more), but I do the same thing with bills. I have friends that stash them away until they're due, or pay them all at once but I pay them the day I get them. I hate having bills lying around.

It's also an incredible waste, and this happens more if you wait to pay, to have to pay late charges or extra charges to pay over phone or rush a check.

T

·
0 Posts
Had everything paid off, but I had to use my Chase card for something and owe only 300. I will have that paid back off next month. :) No more credit cards for me. I will keep one for emergency only. Nothing else.

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
We don't use credit cards - just cash or our debit cards. Hubby does have a government card for travel expenses, but it doesn't have a balance at the moment. The military generally pays it off in full anyway.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
We have only one credit card with a little over $500 on it. And that's only because that's what's left after John paid for rental car and hotels while in Europe. The remainder will be paid off this month.

We try not to use credit very much at all. We almost always pay in cash. I sound like the creepy guy that Amy knows. :-[

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
I had around $2000 on mine for a few years I just could not get paid off. It was from a wreck (to get the car fixed) and having to move on short notice in 2003. I finally got it paid off earlier this year I have never felt so free. It wasn't much compared to some people but it drove me nuts. Now SU uses his card for everyday purchases but it gets paid off every month.

·
Registered
7,955 Posts
When I was right out of college I was making $24k and got pregnant. I had daycare expenses that were more than my rent, plus a car payment. I had to put everyday things on credit cards just to get by - groceries, diapers, sometimes daycare. I ended up with a LOT of credit card debt after a couple of years.

Jason finally got his act together and started paying child support, I got a new job and a big raise, then we got back together and combined incomes completely but even with all that it's still taken YEARS to get it down.

But I'm happy to report that I paid off one $2100 card with our tax refund and now I'm down to less than $2000 on one more card which should be paid off by the end of the year.

So, that's still a lot based on want all of you have already posted, but for me well, it feels like a major accomplishment.

(Oh, and my credit score is nearly 800, so I may have debt, but I'm smart about it.)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts