Just Labradors banner

Is crating my dog for 8 hours a day good?

• Yes if neccesary

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No it's just not humane

• I don't know

• Depends ( please post what do you mean)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so my family and I are getting an Labrador. I just want to make sure that... Is it humane to keep my new family member crated for 8 hours a day. Ofcourse he will get a potty break during lunch for my siblings (12 o clock) I just want to make sure it's alright, cause I don't want to do anything unfair for my new friend/ brother.

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
It's not just humane but it is kind to the pup ! If they are introduced to the cage as soon as you get them then they will look upon it as their retreat and will feel safe in there. If he's only eight weeks or so old then he will need more than one break every four hours or you will be coming home to a mess. Can you get someone to let it out more often ?

As soon as Dylan has had his breakfast, he rushes into the crate because he knows that he gets a frozen kong and a couple of chews as soon as he is in there.

With a puppy you will find that you need time out as well to give you all a break from the madness but you wouldn't want to keep them caged normally while you are home as they are people dogs and need your company

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
As long as there is some sort of potty break/leg stretch/romp time in the day, it's fine to crate for 8 hours.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Many people crate their dogs for that long - but that doesn't mean you can take a puppy and put them in a crate for 8 hours. And a crated dog will need regular exercise EVERY DAY. And you can't go out after work for 2 hours with friends while you dog sits in it's crate at home. I'm not saying you do these things, just that people need to realize that a crate isn't a place to put your dog when you don't want to deal with it. That said, crates are great! dogs love their crates if used properly (not for punishment) So some reading on using crates and you should be fine.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
wear your puppy out (run, swim, walk, fetch etc) provide them with sufficient entertainment while you are gone (frozen pumpkin or peanut butter kong) and a good toilet break/leg stretch half way through and it's perfectly fine.

Be aware that on leash jogging is not recommended until your dog is 12 months of age and also it is a good idea to try and follow the rule of 5 mins of exercise (or 5 minute blocks every few hours.... and then 10 min blocks... 20 min blocks etc as your dog grows) for every month your dog is old and when they are 1+ yrs than a hour a day is suffice to not over-exercise growing joints.

With a long walk in the morning, food, water and a kong... what does my dog do all day? Sleep. What does it matter if she is enclosed or not? At least if she is crated I know that she cannot harm herself in my home on electrical wires or other dangerous household elements and I know that furniture/shoes/bin/fridge/etc.. will stay intact.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Yes! If done properly, it's very humane. I've actually had one fight in the household over who "got dibbs" on the crate. It wasn't very serious, but I did go and buy another crate so that both girls that I had at the time would have their own crate. ;)

·
Registered
879 Posts
Something VERY important to be aware of: NEVER leave your dog in a crate with his or her collar on!! Before putting your dog in the crate, take off the collar. Make sure the entire family knows this. If you do a search in here, or on the internet, you will find a ton of information on crate training and such.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I clicked "depends" because I think it depends on the age of the dog. 8 hours non-stop crating is too much for a pup, but you mention potty breaks, so that's OK. As long as someone can take them out for breaks crating during the day is fine for a pup. ;)

T

·
0 Posts
I believe in crating, but I will say from Aries and what I went through, don't do it too long, Aries ended up with an over compusive disorder, where he would lick his paws and stomache because we left him too long as per my vet, he didn't have allergies or anything, we actually had to put him on prozac, the only thing that got Aries to stop biting himself was when we got Tundra, guess it helped him stop biting in away. Tundra we put in a crate, but not as long and he's fine...I think more than 8-9 hours is a lot to be in there.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
My dog isn't crated all day (because there is almost always someone home), but he would be fine if he was crated. I work from home, so although I am here . . . I am busy and don't have time to play with him constantly. He follows me around if I leave my desk, but for the most part he just sleeps all day. He would do the same if he was in his crate.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
As everyone has said, if you crate properly, it is humane. If you stuck the dog in the crate for 8 hours at night, did nothing with it in the morning and put it back in the crate all day, yes that would be inhumane.

If you spend a couple of hours with him in the morning, give the dog a good dose of exercise, provide him with something to do while you are gone, crate, then arrange for a long break in between for toileting/exercise, that is fine.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Trickster said:
As everyone has said, if you crate properly, it is humane. If you stuck the dog in the crate for 8 hours at night, did nothing with it in the morning and put it back in the crate all day, yes that would be inhumane.

If you spend a couple of hours with him in the morning, give the dog a good dose of exercise, provide him with something to do while you are gone, crate, then arrange for a long break in between for toileting/exercise, that is fine.
I agree. We never did this with the pups when they were in the puppy stage, but a few days it was necessary, just not preferred. We are lucky that DH only works 5 mins from home and can come home and let them out if needed. Of course now we have a huge outdoor kennel with large blocked off potty area....so they are good to go. But still only in for about 6 hrs a day for the most part because we have different schedules.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I really cannot add anything because all is very good advice. I still crate Barney (he is a year old) but Tal has had free run of the house for nearly two years. IMHO, crating is necessary and it definitely protects them until they know what is expected and are potty trained.

I also echo the no collar in the crate thing. In fact, the only time I have the collar on mine, including my cat Midnight, is when we go somewhere. Too risky that they could get it caught on something.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
bebopalula said:
Something VERY important to be aware of: NEVER leave your dog in a crate with his or her collar on!! Before putting your dog in the crate, take off the collar. Make sure the entire family knows this. If you do a search in here, or on the internet, you will find a ton of information on crate training and such.
I second that.

Angus was a puppy, in a crate, wearing a collar with a tag. I was upstairs. Heard frantic yelping. Ran downstairs and he was just sitting there, blinking, looking at me like, "What's the problem?"

:suspious:

I started looking him over to see if he was injured. No, he didn't look injured. And then I noticed...his tag was missing!

It was on the floor of his crate. The ring it was on was one of those cheap, flimsy ones...the tag had gotten stuck between the bars of the crate, he panicked, but was able to pull it off. Thank goodness!

Now we use these, the slip-on kind:

http://www.boomerangtags.com

1 - 16 of 16 Posts