Just Labradors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pup that I am fostering keeps peeing in his crate. It doesn't matter if he is in there for an hour or for the time i'm at work.

Other than that he is almost housebroken. What can I do. I hate to keep giving him a bath everyday. help help help

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
His crate is pretty good size, he does go in sometimes when I'm home. it's not his favorite place. I think the person who had him before used the crate a lot. He did not want to go in at all this morning, he tried to become one with my bed.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Too much room in the crate was my first thought. A UTI or other medical problem would be my second guess(just throwing out ideas.)

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
Stella used to do the same. It got to the point, that I would rather clean my tile floor, than the bedding and crate everyday. She's never been destructive,so not being in the crate really wasn't an issue. Hate to say it - cuz I'M a HUGE crate advocate, but I believe there are some dogs that just don't do well in it - especially, if you feel he spent way too much time in it, once in his life. It truly could be an anxiety issue (if all medical issues are ruled out). Any way to gate him in a floored area, where he could be safe?

Good luck, Darren. I do know that pain!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Re: Crate Question/ just an idea

My son adopted a dog who just hated the crate. As someone else mentioned, he had been forced to stay in it too much by the original owners plus it was believed in my son's dogs case, the people used the hose to clean it and left him in it when they did so. If you had an area you could gate him in instead of the crate, then you could see if it is just anxiety or the crate. Good luck

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
susieqpa said:
My guess is that crate is too large. You can buy dividers for them and then adjust them to their age or size as you go along.
I do agree, but by the sounds of him peeing only after in it an hour, just doesn't seem right.

Hmmmm? Darren - how old is the pup?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.