Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Update:

Thank you all, for taking a minute to reply :angel: It makes me feel so much better to know that some people out there know about him. Your replies mean a lot to me.

I planted the Forget-Me-Nots today. Simon helped me. It was funny...he was very quiet and respectful. I told him it was for Crash and today was his birthday, and he almost seemed to understand it was a time to be solemn.

They will probably not bloom this year, maybe next. But it felt meaningful to plant them on his birthday.

I will try to take a picture of his place so you can see.

Crash's birthday would have been tomorrow. He would be thirteen years old.

Since he passed away I have wanted to do something to mark his grave. For the first year it remained unmarked in any way. Grass grew over it, the mound slowly settled and it began to blend into the yard.

We buried him with a Rose of Sharon at his feet. I remember when he died it was blooming, and I would pick flowers from it and lay them atop his grave, the few times I could bear to visit.

Last summer we chose a big boulder to mark the site. It weighs several hundred pounds, and is beautiful shades of brown and gold, just like his coat. We had it delivered and it took four men to haul it uphill to where he rests. It had to be a very big boulder for him. Nothing smaller would do.

Last week we added another stone that lies directly on top of him. It is in similar shades, but smaller and flatter. The larger stone serves as a bench, with the flat stone a place to rest your feet. Together, with a few smaller stones between the two, the rocks look very stately and timeless. It is beginning to look like the grave site I have always wanted for him.

The last thing we added was a dogwood tree. Miraculously, the boys have left it entirely alone. It came into bloom this week - just in time for his birthday.

There is only one more final touch, which I will do tomorrow for his special day. I am going to plant Forget-Me-Nots around the stones. These will bloom in June, which is when he came home to live with us. June 5, 1994, on our first wedding anniversary. The Forget-Me-Nots bloom a beautiful clear blue - the same color we used in our wedding.

I am so happy to have finally completed his grave site, and in time for his birthday. Happy birthday Crash. It's been almost three years since you left us, and it still feels like just yesterday that I looked into your shining eyes and thought how lucky I was to know you.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Re: Crash's Birthday

That is so beautiful! Happy B-day crash! I am sure you are missed greatly by all your loved ones. Rest in peace big guy!

·
Registered
14,925 Posts

HAPPY 13TH BIRTHDAY SWEET CRASH! :angel:

Wonderful memorials for a wonderful companion. I love the idea with the forget-me-not flowers: because Crash will never be forgotten. :angel:

W

·
0 Posts

:)

Your tribute makes me think of another big and much loved dog - Boatswain. His owner said it so eloquently.

Boatswain (1803-1808)
Dog of Lord Byron
"Near this spot
are deposited the remains of one
who possessed Beauty without Vanity,
Strength without Insolence,
Courage without Ferocity,
and all the Virtues of Man without his Vices.
This praise, which would be unmeaning Flattery,
if inscribed over human Ashes,
is but a just Tribute to the memory of
Boatswain, a DOG
who was born in Newfoundland, May 1803,
and died at Newstead, Nov 18, 1808."

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Sharon, perfect. Truer words were never said.

·
Registered
4,312 Posts

Connie....it sounds absolutely beautiful.

I some time you will post a picture and share the beautiful spot...just like you have shared your beloved Crash :angel:

Happy Birthday Crash

Sharon....that poem is so very true.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts

Crash's gravesite is perfection, the tribute Sharon posted equally so. God bless your heart dog, Connie.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts

Connie, it sounds like a beautiful resting place for Crash. Sharon's poem is perfect.

Happy Birthday, Crash.

(((((HUGS))))) to you Connie.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts

I can't wait to see pics... just perfect, Connie. He would SO approve.

And God bless Simon and Angus for leaving the tree alone!

·
Registered
11,079 Posts

Crash you are truly loved. I wish I could have known you.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts

Awww Happy Birthday, Crash. Connie, it sounds like a beautiful place that you have made for Crash. Sending hugs and good thoughts your way. I bet the Forget-me-nots will look beautiful.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts

Connie, I hope you will post pictures of the lovely gravesite for Crash.
Thanks for sharing so much about Crash and your life with him. :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts