Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just found out that the bridge we cross to go our rafting trip is a grated bridge. I really, really, really do not like those. I'm just getting used to bridges and don't mind them if they are solid cement type driving surfaces, but grated ones scare the crap out of me. I hate the way the tires feel when driving on them. It's almost a mile long.

http://www.portofhoodriver.com/bridge/index.php

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I feel your pain. I hate those types of bridges, as well. Scare me to death. It is 5miles long.

Mackinaw Bridge in Michigan is like that on one lane. Thankfully the other lane is cement. But still, I don't like it. And it is

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
You would really love the bridge we pass under while boating on the river, You can look up and see holes where the concrete is missing!!

They are replacing it soon...been there for 63 years!!!

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I feel for you. I hate bridges. Any and all types. I have to look straight ahead when going across.

New experience for me last week - a tunnel, underwater. Holy crap. I nearly lost it. I was driving on the way there and I didn't think I was going make it through. I felt like I couldn't breathe. It wasn't as bad on the way back when I was the passenger.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. Very seldom do folks fall through and plunge to their death. Odds are you'll be fine.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
I have lived in NJ for 28 years and I still break out in hives and lose my (insert meal name here) everytime I have to drive across a bridge. It's better if someone else drives but just a little.

YOU CAN DO IT!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't worry about it. Very seldom do folks fall through and plunge to their death. Odds are you'll be fine.
When I first moved to the Portland area, there was a story on the news about a girl who was crossing a bridge over the Willamette river, lost control of her car and ended up in the river. She was crossing a grated part of a bridge. She was lucky, her window broken when she hit the water, so she was able to get out. When you're a So. Cal native with very little in the way of bridges, that story sorta sticks out.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
That thought of crossing a bridge with my window up or down has went through my mind a few times. Either way in my case it wouldn't matter....I swim like a rock!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I am that way about any bridge, but those metal ones are the worst. Have someone else drive, lower your seat back as far down as it will go, and curl up facing the inside of the car. I find that having my iPod playing loudly in my ears helps, too.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Unfortunately, my friend is also a So. Cal native. She might be worse than me.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Where are you guys going rafting Betsy? I always roll down my window when I cross a bridge. Jeff thinks I'm insane.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I just found out that the bridge we cross to go our rafting trip is a grated bridge. I really, really, really do not like those. I'm just getting used to bridges and don't mind them if they are solid cement type driving surfaces, but grated ones scare the crap out of me. I hate the way the tires feel when driving on them. It's almost a mile long.

http://www.portofhoodriver.com/bridge/index.php
Go across 205 and up on the washington side, its alittle longer but would save you from that stess! Especially since your coming from the west side of the city:) Oh yeah cross over at Cascade locks, I think its solid also!

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
I love bridges, got a couple I go over often, not long, but interesting, first one has no tonnage signs so I speed up to make sure I have enough momentem to make it,,,,,,,, in case:

This other one has a 5 ton limit, hope they're right cause the curve on gravel keeps the speed down:

My favorite one I often go out of the way and pay the $1.25 toll.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/1873184031/

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
You can do it Betsy, you'll be across it in no time. Just think about how many people cross that bridge in the run of a day/week/year.

I crossed either one of these two bridges twice daily, its a main traffic artery into the downtown area so it would be bumper to bumper and often slowed to a stop. The bridge SWAYS in the wind. Of course, if it didn't have that sway, it would crumble, so I guess its a good thing. Still, there is a scene from The Mothman Prophecies that sticks with me!

I also rely on the Confederation Bridge to get to my parents' in PEI... it takes 17 minutes to cross it.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Eeek! Part of the bridge we cross to get to the beach used to have grates as part of one lane, now it's all concrete (thank the lord!)

Here's the 2 spans of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge (4 miles long)

Jo that second bridge looks wicked. Something tells me about halfway over I would have to use the restroom! haha

1 - 20 of 36 Posts