Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day I was taking the dogs outside to take them for a walk and get some nice pictures since it was sunny and semi-warm.

As I'm heading down the stairs (2 flights), a neighbor is coming out with her dog on the first floor, both dogs pull me, my camera, which is around my neck flings around (still on my neck) but dings right into the wall. AHHH.

I checked the lens to see if it was cracked, which it was not, and I checked all the functions of the camera itself and so far so good. Went outside to take some pictures and realized that I can no longer zoom in and out with my lens. :eek:

I went inside and took the lens off the camera, and there is a piece loose inside that isn't supposed to be.

AHhhhh. So now I have a potentially ruined camera lens that wasn't cheap to begin with.

Is it worth going to a photo repair place to see if they can fix it? Or should I just wait til I can afford to buy another lens? (~$150)

I'm definitely a sad panda. :(

·
Registered
106 Posts
You can always have them take a look and see how much they think it'll run you. That sucks though, and I feel your pain.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can always have them take a look and see how much they think it'll run you. That sucks though, and I feel your pain.
Yeah, I might do that. It worked fine when I took pictures, I think a piece is just loose and needs to be put back. I'll see how much they will charge me.. if it's a lot, I'm not sure.. maybe just cry and hide in a corner!

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
I hope it's not too costly to be repaired Justine! :( That sucketh lots!

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
I'm sorry, that does suck. But try to look on the bright side, at least it wasn't a $700 lens. If you are going to break one, the $150 one is the one to break. =/

I'd feel like crying too. I hope they can fix it for you, and that it's not ruined.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Crapadoodle!! I hope it isn't anything major. There should be a shop that gives free estimates.

Also- make sure all your lenses have a clear UV filter on them to protect the glass, if they don't already.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I'm sorry for you! I am so paranoid about that happening when I'm taking them in the snow. I'm afraid I'll fall and bang the camera. But I'm like the guy with the beer can. I might fall down, but I'm gonna save that beer! Camera!

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm sorry for you! I am so paranoid about that happening when I'm taking them in the snow. I'm afraid I'll fall and bang the camera. But I'm like the guy with the beer can. I might fall down, but I'm gonna save that beer! Camera!
LOL. That's how I am, too. No, I don't care if I fall down 2 flights of stairs, but the camera/phone/whatever is going to make it! ;)

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Can you still manually Zoom with it??

Odd's are it will cost a bit to get it fixed, but it cant hurt to have it checked out.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Oh no!

I have banged my poor Nikon SLR quite a few times but... *knock on wood* haven't actually damaged it yet.

This reminds me I should look into getting a better lens.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I'm guessing at only $150, it was just the kit lens? That's pretty cheap for a lens. How long have you had the camera? I thought most lenses came with a warranty. It might be worth finding out if you still have the original paperwork.

Otherwise you might try finding a used lens on Craigslist. A lot of people sell their kit lenses to upgrade to better ones.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts