Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, first of all...we have a fenced in yard so no domestic canines were in danger.

We have a large expanse of woods behind our house that abuts the highschool fields. I know we have a coyote pack in there. We've seen them on occasion in the spring and heard the chilling cry of their young (creepiest sound ever!)

Last night around 4 a.m. both dogs bolted off the bed in the middle of the night and ran down stairs. No barking from them, but it woke me up. I could hear this strange noise outside...at first I thought it was a car alarm in the distance, but then I thought it might be someone screaming...so I opened the bedroom window a crack...

The coyote pack must have been fighting over something in the woods because there was a crying, whining, barking frenzy coming from behind the house! One by one I saw the neighbors lights go on. I went downstairs and couldn't see anything so they must have been far back, but there's Brooklyn sitting up at attention ears perked and eyes darting looking out the back slider keeping an eye out for any trespassers....

and there's Remy looking out the front door with a ball in his mouth tail wagging a mile a minute. "Play??"

:rolleyes: Guess he won't be protecting us from the wildlife. *snort*

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
We have them here too. I hear them quite often, and it is a very creepy sound. We haven't seen one on our land for years. Last spring Bauer and I had one cross the street about 15 feet in front of us. Bauer looked at it, got excited, the coyote looked at us, and Bauer hid behind my legs. He didn't turn out to be much protection against wildlife either.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
They can clear a fence, so be careful!!!! I don't think they would, but still...

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
We have them as well. In fact I heard them last night about 9:00 pm. I had Orson out in front of the house chasing tennis balls down the driveway and quickly rounded him up and we went in the fenced in yard. We are on five acres with five acre parcels on both sides that are virtually uninhabited so I don't like it when I hear them. I hope I never see one IN my fenced in yard area I will freak out.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
We have them out in the fields, you can hear them at night. The neighbor had one in his yard. Remember Sassy...the little sweet dog we had? A coyote tried to grab her right in our yard in the daylight. I won't tell you what a group of them will do to their prey.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
[email protected]! Wow, that sounds like some excitement. I have seen a coyote once in our neighborhood. A whole pack would be...chilling was a good word.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
A couple of weeks ago we saw one in the back of our fence, looking for food. (I throw out our leftovers to the wildlife here) Amazing creature, but not one I want IN my yard.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
They will clear a fence, mostly in search of food and water. We have them everywhere in the Southwest. I was walking on the airbase from one building to the next and one came up from in between a building and some juniper bushes. We almost ran into each other "nose to nose". He stopped and so did I. I stood still and let him find his direction away from me. He was beautiful - healthly and fluffy fur. I know they eat well because we have tons of bunnies on the airbase too. I don't think I would want to encounter one with our pups though. They would want to play and the coyote is more interested in their next meal. I agree, their "calling" can be creepy in the dead of night. It is kind of a lonsome cry.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
We have them out in the fields, you can hear them at night. The neighbor had one in his yard. Remember Sassy...the little sweet dog we had? A coyote tried to grab her right in our yard in the daylight. I won't tell you what a group of them will do to their prey.
We have them everywhere too. I like to listen to them howling at night. However, like Midwestgirl says, don't let them near your dogs. They try to lure domesticated dogs away and into the pack. And that is not a good thing.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts