Just Labradors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone every used Grizzly Salmon Oil for their dogs? Java's physical therapist recommended started her on an Omega 3 supplement. This one was recommended to me on the orthodogs board. Anyone every used it and if so, did you have good results?

Also, I have been doing some research and have read (dont know how accurate or true) that putting Java on a grain free diet could help reduce some of her joint pain. Apparently the grain in some dog foods can aggravate joint issues. So, looking for some good grain-free food ideas. Not looking for a debate, just looking for some good brand names. I know each dog is different and not all dogs do well on the same food, but if you guys could just throw some brand names out there so I can start researching I would appreciate it!!
Also, if you have a dog with joint issues, are they on grain free and does it help? What brand?
By the way....Java is 15 months old (I know that matters with some food because of the calcium/protein content).

Thank you!!
Gina

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Hmm. I haven't heard of that particular oil supplement, but both of my kids are on one and they do very well. Their coats have never looked better, but I also use it as a dietary supplement for Abbey since I homecook for her.

Kolby is currently on Taste of the Wild, which is grain-free. They have 3 varieties and Kolby has done well on both of the ones I've had him on - High Prairie and Wetlands. We will most likely steer clear of the Pacific Stream formula since it is fish-based and Abbey had horrible gas and loose stool from it. But I know others who feed that PS formula and don't have those issues.

You could also look into the Natural Balance line - they make some that are LID (limited ingredient diet), which means that it has one source of protein and one source of carb.

Good luck! :)

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Orijen and Innova EVO are good grain-free foods.

I use the same fish oil supplement as Felicia, find it better than salmon oil.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I used grizzly salmon oil at one point, Raven liked it an I heard good reviews about it. I just use a human fish oil supplement now because it is easier.

I feed Nature's Variety Instinct which is a grain free food. It is the only thing Raven does well on for her allergies but I don't know about grain free for ortho issues.

Here is a site that tells all the grain free foods and ingredients. The Dog Food Project - Grain Free Dog Foods

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oh, let me tell you about the grain-free we've been getting!

The boys have been on grain-free for years, and we've tried several different kinds. A few months ago I switched them to Acana (Pacifica, the fish variety). This food has virtually eliminated shedding. I used to brush them weekly, and even then there was hair everywhere. Now when I brush them, I can hardly get anything off! I am not exaggerating. Their coats have never looked and felt better. Poos are great. I don't know what I'll do if they quit making this food! I am a HUGE fan.

I had heard that finding the right food could be life-changing, but I swear I've never seen such a dramatic difference as with Acana.

Fish oil: I give the boys fish oil capsules (for people). That Grizzly Salmon Oil is expensive! The boys are on 3,000 mg per day.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
We've fed EVO and Orijen with success. Orijen LBP is a limited Ca:p food if you're concerned about that. Two of my classmates feed Wellness CORE and love it.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I feed my boys Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream (fish and potato version) and they do great on it. We've found it at a feed store, 30 pounds for less that $40, includng tax.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I feed one of the dogs Nature's Variety Instinct. It comes in three "flavors" - chicken, rabbit and turkey/duck. What's different is that you can switch between them without worrying about the tummy upset problems that you sometimes get changing foods.

As far as salmon oil, I order Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil from Costco.com. It's the best price that I have found.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
My dogs are all fed grain free and raw diets.
I supplement with fish oil (I buy the Kirkland brand from Costco) and Glucosamine

My dogs have eaten Evo, Wellness Core, and Taste of the Wild all with good results.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.