Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone whom is deaf / very hard of hearing?

Alternatively, if you learned your SU was losing their hearing, would you / could you handle being in it for the long haul?

I would love to hear all opinions, good or bad.

Thanks
Nik

·
Registered
529 Posts
i dont' know but i like to think i would be in it for the long haul but just dont know

right now i am having patiance issues and i might loose my cool and yell a lot in the beggining

S

·
0 Posts
Wouldn't change my feelings one bit. If it came to it, I'd learn sign language. I've always thought it's beautiful watching people talk in sign.

A lady I train with has a deaf dog. She signs to him. Sharpest team in the class.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
One of my good friend's parents are both deaf. They were deaf when she was born. She could sign before she could talk. Her family amazes me. Her husband has been learning to sign, and he thinks it's such a wonderful skill to have, even though her parents can read lips.
I agree, what matters is the person. Not their inabilities.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Well, the first thought that comes to mind is that loss of sight would be much harder to adjust to than loss of hearing.

Secondly, I think of course if Kevin or I lost our hearing, we would just learn sign language. So yes, either of us would be in it for the long haul. But if I were dating, would I begin dating a man who was deaf? Not sure. Probably I wouldn't, to be honest. Just because it would be difficult and I wouldn't already have an established history with that person. That sounds terribly lazy, doesn't it? :-[ I am just thinking it would be hard to get over the initial communication gap with a person you didn't know very well...how do you meet and get to know someone who is deaf? ???

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I probably wouldn't start the relationship for all the reasons that several others have mentioned. I think it would be pretty hard to make a commitment to learning sign for somebody you didn't really have a lot of connection to yet. But if my husband went deaf now it would be a non-issue in regards to how I felt about him and what we have together. Frankly, he doesn't listen to me half the time anyway.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
I am not married so this is coming from a totally different point of view, but I don't know how I would feel about being with someone who I could not commincate verbally with. So, I'm really not sure is the answer.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Well, I don't know about the dating thing, but as far as staying with my husband if he were to become deaf (or sick or incapacitated in any way) - ARE YOU KIDDING? You don't just walk away from someone you love because they get sick.

And, BTW, my husband probably will end up with significant hearing loss. He's heading that way now (although he says I'm mumbling - right) and most people in his father's family have major hearing issues.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I probably wouldn't start the relationship for all the reasons that several others have mentioned. I think it would be pretty hard to make a commitment to learning sign for somebody you didn't really have a lot of connection to yet.
I agree.

But if BF were to lose his hearing (which I think he already is sometimes), I wouldn't break up with him.

Plus, I am just finishing up a month's worth of sign language class that they offered here at work taught by a "hard of hearing" person (not considered deaf). His wife is completely deaf and I think both of their kids are "hearing." I've learned a lot and it is a very interesting class. :) You learn how different the "deaf" culture is.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
My SIL is in a relationship with a guy who has significant hearing loss in one ear. He has been this way since she met him, but it has gotten worse since they've been together. I think more than anything it frustrates her because he won't go to the doctor to find any help. But this comes from fear of what they are going to find.

Anyways, if dh went deaf, I'd be here. I don't know if I could start dating someone who was deaf, because I couldn't communicate with them. I don't know sign language.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Let's face it. Most spouses become "hard of hearing" after awhile. So there wouldn't be much difference.

·
0 Posts
Yup, wouldn't matter a bit. There are many ways to communicate and much of the most emotion-filled exchanges between people are non-verbal.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
It sure shouldn't negatively affect an existing relationship. If I became deaf, I'd be pretty pissed off if anyone (friends, family, spouse) had issues with it other than complete support!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts