Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jazz (5 months old) has just recently discovered that the couch is a comfy place to lay. I put some thought into it and decided that i will let her be a couch dog and would only make her move if I, or anybody, wanted to sit where she was. What I'm wondering is if there is any way I could teach her that our couch is okay but other couches are not? We visit family and friends houses a lot and I know some people don't want a dog on their furniture (she already scratched my parents leather couch). The best idea I could think of is to put a towell in "her spot" and remind her that it is the only permissable place to lay. Will this work or am I doomed?

·
Registered
8,472 Posts

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I can't think of non-dog houses we go to. I have never really thought about it before, but when Bauer goes with us to visit friends or family he does whatever their dog does. He is such a follower :D. If he sees other dogs get on furniture he will too, but if they stay on the floor . . . so does he. Weird, now that I think about it. :)

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I think you can teach it.

I know people say you cannot but everyone of our dogs plus my BR dog Cierra that is here daily all have learned that the family room couch can be used at will but they are not allowed on the light colored furniture in the living room. All of our dogs love to to sleep in the living room as it is coolest but they do so on the floor or in Cinnamon's case her crate as that is where it is at.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bauersmom- it sounds like your dog just has good manners =-).

Bob...Jazz does the same the same thing you wrote about. She will often take my place in the room if I get up for any reason. As long as she knows to move when I come back then it's fine. I really don't have any non-dog houses either , but some people are paticular about their furniture. I guess the important thing (and probably easier) is to teach her a "get off" command or to make sure she understands the uh uh (don't do it) command to stop her. At the same time, I'm going to try the towell method...i will let y'all know if it works in a couple weeks. =-)

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Rush gets up on our furniture but knows not to get on other furniture unless invited. Boo we haven't tested this on yet.

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
We let Sammi up on the couch, but she waits to be told its o.k. I'm not even sure how she learned this. We really don't care if she is up there and she has a blanket up there. She will wait and look at DH and I, sort of like she does to be released for her food bowl. All I do is pat my hand on the couch and up she comes! Of course if we arent on the couch or were not home, I'm pretty sure she gets up there anyway;) She is the same with couch's in motel's- and I have never seen her get on a couch at our friends houses- hmmm wish I could tell you how I did that:confused:

·
Registered
64 Posts
We have three leather couches in our house. One very nice expensive one, and two lesser ones. Somehow, Ender knows he's not allowed on the uber-expensive one, but is allowed on the others. Not sure how he knows that, but it apparently can be taught.

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
Zoe has "at home couch" friends, and they never go on the couch when visiting us.
They were not taught...it's as if they just know. ***shrugs*** :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
I only let my dogs on the sofa if I invite them on, so when we visit people they dont get invited on the furniture and its good when company comes to my house too.

·
Registered
21,293 Posts
I stayed with some American friends who had taght their two Goldens to stay on the carpet area of the house to stop them venturing into the kitchen! It was so funny to see them teetering on the edge of the carpet to see who was in the kitchen.

If they could do that then with training I think that it would be possible.

·
Registered
7,052 Posts
We have one couch that Buddy is allowed on. He knows he can't get on the other two. He also has never tried getting on the furniture when we've gone visiting. You can train it if you're willing to enforce the rules.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Princess loves the couch but has learned she can only be on the couch when there is a blanket on it for her. She forgets (ignores) the rule sometimes but most of the time she is really good about it.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
We let Sammi up on the couch, but she waits to be told its o.k. I'm not even sure how she learned this. We really don't care if she is up there and she has a blanket up there. She will wait and look at DH and I, sort of like she does to be released for her food bowl. All I do is pat my hand on the couch and up she comes! Of course if we arent on the couch or were not home, I'm pretty sure she gets up there anyway;) She is the same with couch's in motel's- and I have never seen her get on a couch at our friends houses- hmmm wish I could tell you how I did that:confused:
Mine are the same way. They sit there and wait until you tell them to get up. They've been at relatives' and friends' houses and have never gotten on the furniture. Also, they're only allowed on the couch, not the living room chairs. They never even try that. So yes, I think you can teach her that.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I think they know in a way... Saba always gets up and sleeps on my couch, but never at my parents' house or anywhere else.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts