Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my Costco membership expired the end of March. I rarely go so I didn't go in to renew it until today. I pay my $50, get my card back, and I made some comment about whether to renew it for two years so that I didn't have to remember next July. Costco Worker Bee tells me that the new card will expire next year at the end of March. Not July 22, which would be a full year.

Turns out that they backdate your renewal to when your card expired so if four months has gone by, like it had for me, then your new one year membership that you paid full price for, is really only good for eight months. I pointed out that they would not have honored my card during those four months that they are now charging me for, but they didn't seem to care.

Final result, a manager changed my expiration date but only because I pitched a fit. Thing is that nobody ever really remembers when exactly they renewed so you have to wonder how many thousands of people have been screwed out of months of membership and thousands, if not millions, of dollars.

This is probably a dirty little secret among all the big club stores, but it's really the kind of thing that pisses me off. So next time you renew, check your expiration date and make sure they aren't trying to slip one past you.

Bastards.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Yes, there was a class action suit about this, we got a notice from COSTCO about it. I'm surprised your manager was still trying to do this. I'd report him to the COSTCO headquarters.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I googled it. Now I'm even more pissed off than I was before. How could they possibly still be doing this after all the publicity it received, even if I didn't see it? I also feel a little stupid since this was a pretty big story and I never saw anything about it.

Unfortunately, they still have nice dog beds for $21 so apparently I'm going to have to get over my pissed offedness.

They're still bastards.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
That really is not right!

I signed up for a Costco credit card (American Express), so my membership gets billed to that automatically, I never have to remember to renew.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
That really is not right!

I signed up for a Costco credit card (American Express), so my membership gets billed to that automatically, I never have to remember to renew.
same here. and i get cash back every February from using the card.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
That doesn't bother me because I use Sam's Club weekly (it's here in Topeka) and Costco (60 miles away) monthly (for their Kirkland dog food and their rotisseried chicken + many other things).

I like Costco's quality - IMO, the prices are about 5-10% higher but the quality is about 25-50% better.

The ultimate question is, am I better off with it or without it?

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Time for me to chime in. Yep! They do it. But as you found out, you can get it fixed. Just a PITA to get through.

Regarding the automatic renewal. Folks, I would get that changed as soon as you can. I had an argument on the phone for over a half hour a couple years ago. I want them to send me a bill for the membership and I will pay for it consciously IF I WANT TO. Never know what will happen in the future. May decide I don't like them anymore, or have a better option. I want the bill to come to thehouse, and then we can discuss if we want to continue it.
PS: As long as the dog food maintains quality and price benefit, the dog bed prices remain very attractive, and some of the other pet products, then we will continue the membership just for those things. And 3% off the low price of the gas is good too. Especially since I drive past the place twice a day anyway. BUT things change in life, and I might change my mind.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I have a BJ's, Costco's is over by the mall and the mall is a place I never go.

I let my membership lapse for a couple of years, when I went to sign up again, they renewed my original membership for the original price..........

1 - 12 of 12 Posts