Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I love these things. Of course the real trick is figuring out how to make California money in one of the cheaper states.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Thank you for that link!! Boy does this add fuel to my fire for moving out of the North East! I can't get over the cost difference, even with the salary adjustment. (sort of depressing as much as it is cool)

G

·
Hmmm...I'm not sure I agree with its assessment of the housing prices in Charlotte vs. Kansas City. When I was seriously looking down there I wasn't finding housing to be cheaper there than here.

But it's an interesting piece of info...and I'm pretty glad I'm staying here.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
Don't think of moving south to save money unless you want to deal with horrid humidity and waiting in traffic at least an hour to get 10 miles! ;) And if you come south, love it or leave it!! ;D ;D ;D

There are no jobs where I want to go back to in my hometown of VA......

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I have moved from NY(upstate) to GA (north) and it was like a 8 K raise!!! I also moved back to NY and it was a 8 K pay cut! The difference in my case was, fuel, taxes,utilities,cable,sales tax and health(ins) and fees. All higher in NY. We rented an apartment in GA and when we came back to NY,same cost both states. I actually have the solid costs for both states.

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
Yeh, I think rent is high here but housing costs are cheaper. People would feel like they lived in a mansion on what $300,000 buys you here vs. the north. When I worked for DuPont, we had people in HO wanting to move to the southern region for the housing. It was a beotch though, when they got transferred back.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
hmmmm I am moving out of NY (upstate) down to MD. Looks like I won't be taking a cut in my standard of living YAY! It will cost me more to rent in MD but looks like the pay raise will help compensate. Soooo I guess I am breaking even! not too shabby.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
CenTexLabs said:
Everywhere I put in, I would have to get a serious raise. Even moving a couple hours north or south. :-\
I never thought to compare CT to CT...ohmigosh. I must be living in one of the most disgustingly unaffordable places on Earth. Even within CT, everything cost less away from here. :mad: Only moving to NYC would increase our costs, and that's to Manhattan, not the boroughs. Ridiculous. I know a lot of it has to do with our insane taxes...

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
I used several different calculators when moving from CA to PA and back to CA again. I found them pretty inaccurate. I don't find that my cost of living is significantly different in the Bay Area than it was in Pittsburgh. (Of course, I had twice the house in Pittsburgh.) And how do you factor in things like weather and quality of life?

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
theoconbrio said:
I used several different calculators when moving from CA to PA and back to CA again. I found them pretty inaccurate. I don't find that my cost of living is significantly different in the Bay Area than it was in Pittsburgh. (Of course, I had twice the house in Pittsburgh.) And how do you factor in things like weather and quality of life?
Before I moved from NY to GA I had used the calculators available at the time. I did not find them very accurate at all. What I did have was actual bills from both locations and Georgia was much less expensive to live. Automobile,housing ,food, cellular phone, clothing were relatively equal. Energy/Utilities,fuel,taxes and insurance were much cheaper. Wages were comparable for both my wife and I, as compared to Upstate NY. I did see an 8 K difference in the "monthly" costs. NY has larger "social" programs that are funded through property and sales taxes.NY like most NE states have small cookie cutter towns and school districts that should be consolidate to avoid duplication of services. Ga had far fewer overlapping services which certainly keeps taxes lower.

NY needs to get on board or the exodus from the state will continue.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Wowie! No wonder Nance wants to stay put. And no wonder so many of you don't want to move here.

Lookie: (and NOOOO!! that is not my salary. LOL I arbitrarily chose $200,000)

"Salary in Oklahoma City OK: $200,000
Comparable salary in Honolulu HI: $345,396.83

If you move from Oklahoma City OK to Honolulu HI...

Groceries will cost: 72.303% more
Housing will cost: 202.118% more
Utilities will cost: 17.853% more
Transportation will cost: 14.598% more
Healthcare will cost: 9.064% more "

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
We moved from Southern CA to Ohio and hubby got a 48% raise. I would never ever go back to CA again.
I hear ya, Heather. SU and I are probably going to make (almost) the same move. I can't stand the Bay Area anymore.

But the snow in April part sucks. :p

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
kiddsmom said:
LINKY

If I moved from the west coast to the midwest or south, it would be like getting a $10K a year raise.
Yeah, but that increase in pay usually reflects a higher cost of living, so your extra dollars won't necessarily go as far. It's a tough call without knowing the area.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mich said:
kiddsmom said:
LINKY

If I moved from the west coast to the midwest or south, it would be like getting a $10K a year raise.
Yeah, but that increase in pay usually reflects a higher cost of living, so your extra dollars won't necessarily go as far. It's a tough call without knowing the area.
According to this, my cost of living would be lower if I moved from where I'm living now. (salary figure not mine, just a random figure)

Salary in Portland OR: $50,000
Comparable salary in Abilene TX: $37,092.73

If you move from Portland OR to Abilene TX...

Groceries will cost: 26.444% less
Housing will cost: 46.642% less
Utilities will cost: 4.287% less
Transportation will cost: 11.305% less
Healthcare will cost: 14.795% less

1 - 20 of 26 Posts