Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When my uncle found out I was on the hunt for a lab puppy he told me a friend of his was selling silver labs. I'd never heard of such a thing, so I did some research ... holy controversy batman!

This is my take on what I've found out ...

So, basically a silver lab is a shade of chocolate, right? There are people who wish for the silver colour to become its own category, but from what I've read the AKC and CKC (and whoever) feel that in order to get the silver colour the dogs were bread with a pinch of something other than a lab ... a dash of Weimaraner here and there, that sort of thing.

The people who want silver to be a acknowledged colour are retorting and saying that yellow labs aren't an original colour either and that the original labs were bred with something else to get the yellow colour. However, yellow labs were around long before the breed itself became registered, thus making yellow labs entirely legit.

Silver Labs

In 1987 the AKC, in corporation with the Labrador Retriever Club of America, conducted an inquiry into the breeding of litters that contained members that were registered as silver. An AKC representative was sent to observe these dogs. The report and color photographs of these dogs were reviewed by AKC staff and representatives of the Labrador Retriever Club of America. Both Parties were satisfied that there was no reason to doubt that the dogs were purebred Labrador Retrievers, however they felt that the dogs were incorrectly registered as silver. Since the breed standard at the time described chocolate as ranging in shade form sedge to chocolate, it was felt that the dogs could more accurately be described as chocolate rather than silver. This remains the current policy of the American Kennel Club.
So, who's right? What's your take on it? I find this rather intriguing. This is one of those things that makes history in a breed - will they allow Silver or not? That being said, will they someday make "fox red" and "white" labs seperate from yellow labs? I've seen a lot of advertising for those colours, but they're always sub-categorized under yellow.

Does anyone here have a "silver" lab?

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
While I totally understand and agree with the stance that there is no true silver lab....that they are a weird shade of chocolate (I honestly don't understand the gene stuff). And I am in no way acknowledging the legitimacy of silver labs.

However, I do know someone who rescued a silver lab. That is honestly one of the sweetest, smartest and best-tempered dogs I've ever seen....and also one heck of a retriever.

My point....I think that some people are so put off by breeders who advertise and push silver labs that they often overlook the fact that there are these silver dogs out there who need good homes. I think getting a silver lab is just fine....as long as you realize what you are getting...or not getting.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Not sure if you were on the old forum but we had several discussions on silvers on there. I think from memory, we even had a silver breader (their spelling not mine) trying to convince everyone their pups were pure bread labs. :rolleyes:

Major clue here: If a "breader" can't even spell breeder properly, HTH do you expect them to know what they're breeding? :rolleyes:

To quote the title of one of my favorite Pink Floyd songs ........

RUN LIKE HELL

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, I wasn't on the old forum. LOL @ breaders.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I've had my first exposure to them in our latest round of obed classes. Two brothers.

PERSONALLY, I thought they were weird-looking (the coat is not only an odd color, but a really odd texture that I can only describe as being 'oily'), and there's no way I'd opt for one.

PROFESSIONALLY, I told them it was good they were in class and that I looked forward to working w/them.

INNOCENTLY, I asked the Mom: "What do they cross w/a Lab to get that unusual coat?"

And her response chilled me: "The breeder wouldn't tell us."

Oy.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
INNOCENTLY, I asked the Mom: "What do they cross w/a Lab to get that unusual coat?"

And her response chilled me: "The breeder wouldn't tell us."
:eek: And she still bought not one but two of them? :eek:

My next question would be, "I like your dogs so much, I'd love one myself. Where did you get them from?" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:eek: And she still bought not one but two of them? :eek:

My next question would be, "I like your dogs so much, I'd love one myself. Where did you get them from?" :rolleyes:
Exactly! :eek:

On the colour wheel of it all, I came across a breeder who was selling their "fox red" labs for $150 more than their "cream" labs. That was a huge red flag to me. If that doesn't scream "we breed for money!" then paint me purple and call me Barney.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I had to bite my tongue not to ask "What'd you pay for these guys??"

And, FWIW, they are holy terrors. Brains the size of a pea. DOMINANT to the max. Not unlike other Labs at their age (9-10 months or so), but the questionable heritage makes me wonder about how they'll develop......

Also, Mom & Dad are completely clueless at taking direction.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Does anyone remember the name of that silver "breader" from the other board? I'm pretty sure they deleted their acct because a few people were a bit harsh on the poor darlings. :eek:

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Silver breeders are only breeding for color. There is a very limited gene pool of dogs that carry the color, because they are all descended from the original dogs that were the product of some breeding to a Weim. Health issues and temperment issues are hard to weed out because the gene pool is so limited. I don't think you can get the color by crossing out to normal lab colors. So basically you are paying inflated prices for a "rare" color with high chances of health and temperment problems.

You want to rescue to silver or a labradoodle from the pound...no problems there. Those dogs need homes. But by creating a market for these shady breeders is not right.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Sharon (WigWag) did extensive genetic research on silver labs. Some of her posts on the old forum are really informative about the "color" silver in labs. I haven't seen her here, but you could probably search on the old board for them :)

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
In order to bread a silver lab you have to follow these instructions:

1. grab a chocolate lab or a black lab, or any lab mix of said color
2. in a large dog size sauce pan pour 30 lbs of powder dust and mix 50 egg yolks to get a gray slime
3. roll the lab puppies completely in the mix, be careful with the eyes
4. deep fry the puppies for 5 minutes
5. Voila, you have breaded a silver lab!

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
In order to bread a silver lab you have to follow these instructions:

1. grab a chocolate lab or a black lab, or any lab mix of said color
2. in a large dog size sauce pan pour 30 lbs of powder dust and mix 50 egg yolks to get a gray slime
3. roll the lab puppies completely in the mix, be careful with the eyes
4. deep fry the puppies for 5 minutes
5. Voila, you have breaded a silver lab!
FIVE MINUTES? Are you mad? :eek: Do you want to cook up a silver Lab or a charcoal one? :D

Four minutes is plenty of time. ;)

·
Registered
869 Posts
My friend called me yesterday because she was watching Animal Planet's Dog 101 (I think) and she told me that they mentioned there are gray labs. I quickly turned on the channel to see if they would mention it again, but they didn't. I wanted to hear it myself. My friend has a boxer, so I explained to her the controversy over "silver, gray" labs.

I personally don't care for how they look.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
I still think the best labs are turkey-herding silver ones. hehehe....

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
My friend called me yesterday because she was watching Animal Planet's Dog 101 (I think) and she told me that they mentioned there are gray labs. I quickly turned on the channel to see if they would mention it again, but they didn't. I wanted to hear it myself. My friend has a boxer, so I explained to her the controversy over "silver, gray" labs.

I personally don't care for how they look.
I saw that too, and they said something like: Silver labs are popping up, but aren't welcome at the AKC. When they talk about lab color, they only mention black, yellow, and chocolate.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
You forgot to mention they are also four feet tall I believe. :D
Anyyone with an ounce of dog knowledge, knows you can't herd turkeys with dogs under 4 foot tall. Oh I've watched many attempts of Corgi's trying to herd. It was disgusting. The screeching, the barking and the resulting stampede. Very, very, messy.
Herding is best done with any four foot working or sporting breed canine. I did however see some excellent herding performed by a tabby cat on stilts but I'm not entirely sure if they were real turkeys or decoys. There was heavy drinking involved and some of the details are a bit fuzzy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts