Just Labradors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone taken a class based off the "Control Unleashed" book? I had signed me and Mocha up for a class at the KY Humane Society at the recomendation of the trainer we were working with. Since we ended up taking her to my parents I can't take her, since the class is non refundable I am going to take Zeus.

Zeus is a good dog 90% of the time the only issue really is that he's a gooser which is annoying but not really much of a problem, and he's reactive to other big dogs. He's not very obedient though and I've always had trouble training him mainly because he just doesn't have the wanting to please disposition that Mocha had. She loved to learn and tried everything she had in her arsonal to please me (and get the treat ;) ) but Zeus could care less most of the time. This class is about focus and having the dog look to you for guidance. Zeus doesn't have that so I'm a little worried how he will do. Also the trainer said this class requires a lot of homework which I worry about finding time to do. We'll give it our best shot though and maybe I can learn some techniques to show mom and dad to teach Mocha and help her too.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
I've heard very good things about the trainer at the KHS. I need to take that class with Teddy.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
kal3idoscope said:
Good luck! Do you know if this class uses treats? If so, what do you plan on using? Abbey won't pay attention to me if I use her kibble or "regular" snacks, but if I use something stinky like hot dogs or one of those Natural Balance turkey sausage things cut up into tiny pieces, she'll do ANYTHING I want. :D
It's a positive-reinforced based method, so it will require rewards of some kind. I highly, highly recommend reading her book or watching the new DVD - her method is really quite unique.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I have the book and have used the methods on Emilu with good success for her "dog reactivity". The thing is, alot of people think that it is about training your dog to work off-leash, but it's really for "reactive" dogs. It's not how to teach them "heel, sit, laydown," etc. It's not about how to "teach" your dog to do anything. It's about how to work with your dog so they they can concentrate and work and learn around whatever it is that bothers them, and what they have issues with. It is very reward based, mostly treats - lots of treats at first.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Just to piggyback on Pat's good post, by "reactive" she means anything that makes it hard for your dog to concentrate. So it's useful for overly enthusiastic and gregarious Labs as well as for fearful or or more stereotypically "reactive" dogs.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I just took a CU class with Keenan Brown last summer. It was wonderful. Reading the book prior to the class would be invaluable. Leslie McDermitt also has DVD's out now through clean run which outline her techniques. The classes are primarily for dogs who are competing in some way-agility, obedience etc. She works with dog reactivity and dogs who shut down and have no motivation. I originally only thought I needed it for my dog reactive yellow lab MoDean but, all my dogs have benefitted from this class.

My little aussie Panda came to me with many fears. Fear of men, loud noises etc. It got so bad that when we were at our first AKC agility trial someones pop up crate "popped" in her face she turned that being startled into a fear of everthing doors opening, small children, noises and men. I thought she was calm down prior to our last run. She was sleeping. I had with the help of the person with the pop up crate fed her on it and tried to allieviate her fears. I went for the last run and she was doing well until she saw a man in the ring next to the tunnel who was a bar setter. She refused the next obstacle and became frightened and bolted from the ring. I now use CU with her. I ask her to look at things she finds frightening. I reward her for showing me what is in the environment that she could be afraid of. She has improved and now after having her just over a year she has both her novice titles in AKC and ASCA and is finishing up titles in DOCNA. She is also a therapy dog for our local hospital and a hospice. She still has fears and still gets fearful. This class has taught me what to do and how to handle it when it happens. She seems to be more resilient now and bounces back quicker. Her last trial was judged by a man and had several boyscouts in the ring as bar setters and leash runners. She would show me these "threats" by looking at them and looking back at me. She became fearful and started refusing contacts-there was alot of testosterone in that ring 8) I was able to use a run to "train in the ring" and her next run was beautiful. Everything I do with this girl is an accomplishment to me because of what she started from.

You will love this class! Have fun. If you want any specific info just PM me.

Lisa

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks I think it will be a good experience it's taught by the lady that does their agility training at the humane society and the behaviorist/trainer we used with Mocha has been through the class with one of her dogs and her husband is taking another one of their dogs through it this go round. She said she really liked the way the class was run and thought it would be really good for both Mocha and Zeus. Hopefully if I take Zeus and learn the techniques I can help teach my parents and work with Mocha too. She said mainly it works on Focus and helping the dog rely on you for their ques.
Zeus is food motivated but not like Mocha it takes cheese or hot dogs or something stronger where Mocha will gladly work for kibble.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.