Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as not to hijack the why wait to spay thread... it is now personal to me. Some may have read that I may have to to go to the UK (from Greece) without much notice as my aging mother is not well. Cheka is 10 months and the first heat is inevitable soon, though no signs yet. I had inteneded to try to wait for the first heat and wait 3 months. This would have also tied up with my busy work time which starts in April. This is no longer practical as i cannot leave a dog who may come on heat with friends however good friends they are ( the one in question already has 2 of her own). My husband is fine at day to day care but will not be reliable when it comes to heat. So i had made the decsion to go ahead and spay.My vet has suggested a contraceptive injection to delay the heat in order not to interfere with her growth. I am worried about the association with endomitritis. ( I suffered a stroke myself as result of taking the human contraceptive pill so find myself in a dilemma.)
My gut says go ahead spay.

Problem solved by fate! I booked Cheka to be spayed on Monday, yesterday she came into heat! Oh well, I will not take the risk of spaying her whilst in heat, so somehow we have to get through the next 3 weeks. It more or less means that I have to postpone my UK trip till its over, so have to hope that nothing happens to my mother in that time, if so I will just have to down tools and go and hope for the best.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29,548 Posts
Re: Contraceptives

I'm not sure about endometriosis, but I'd worry about pyometra. I'd spay rather than give an injection like that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Contraceptives

Thanks Bob, it will be good to see her again. Hopefully we can restore some of her quality of life, its hard seeing a parent age and lose their health.

All, thanks. That supports my gut. Spay it shall be.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top