Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience with a constipated lab? Is that even possible? Tucker hasn't made a "normal" poop in over 24 hours and this morning wasn't able to go at all (yesterday he went twice - the first was a bit smaller than normal, last night was much smaller than normal and he didn't go this morning)...I switched food for 2 days and I was thinking maybe I wasn't feeding him enough and that is why he hasn't gone "right"...I put him back on his normal food/normal serving size last night and I am hoping he is back to normal by tonight (I REALLY don't want to run off to the vet prematurely)...everything else seems to be normal and he hasn't thrown up to make me think he has a blockage...is there anything I should give him? Any advice?

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
When Nellie is constipated I give her a couple large tablespoons of plain canned pumpkin.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I will wait until his walk later to see if things worked out on its own...if not, I will give the pumpkin a whirl!

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fortunately, he pooped on our evening walk...I didn't have to resort to the pumpkin, but thanks for the suggestion...good to know!!

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
pumpkin is a fairly regular addition to our meals around here (for the dogs anyhow!)
however I'm glad things worked themselves out (HAHAHAHAHA geez I kill myself)

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Baloo will sometimes go just once a day (very small poops) or once every other day and I don't fret about it. :)

He always pooped twice a day like clockwork when he ate kibble, though.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Normally, I wouldn't worry, but the gardeners just laid down mulch and Tucker keeps eating it (the minute I open the front door, he bolts, face first into it with me flying behind on the other end of the leash)...I was trying to be positive that dogs DO get constipated and he didn't eat a stick and get it lodged in his stomach or something like that...I would have been FURIOUS!

I HATE this time of year...between the mulch, the skunks and the bunny turds, walking Tucker just SUCKS!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts